Find the answer to your Linux question:
Build Your Own Web Server ~ Quick & Easy Do it Yourself Installation ~ All within 24 hours !!!! Ubuntu/Debian Linux - Apache 2 - Linux Web server - MySQL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up Build Perfect Linux WebServer within 24hrs !!!

Build Your Own Web Server ~ Quick & Easy Do it Yourself Installation ~ All within 24 hours !!!!

Ubuntu/Debian Linux

- Apache 2 - Linux Web server
    - MySQL 5 - MySQL Database Server
    - PHP4/5 - PHP Scripting Language
    - PhpMyAdmin - Web-based database admin software.
    - Webalizer - Website Traffic Analyzer
    - Mail Server - Postfix (MTA) with Dovecot IMAP/POP3 + Sasl Authentication
    - Squirrelmail - A web based email
    - VSFTP - A fast ftp server to upload files
    - Webmin - A freely available server control panel
    - ClamAV - Antivirus software.
    - A Firewall using IPtables.

Visit: http://www.mysql-apache-php.com

After long hardwork and desperation searching web to prepare for a linux server on my VPS plan, i wrote my tutorial for somebody like me who is new to vps and dedicated server. Just felt that it could be helpful.

Please comment and any advice would be appreciated.

very nice, and helpful. thank you. could this gem go in the tutorials forum?

Yes, nice one indeed. Short, but rater complete overview of the steps involved.

Thanks !
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Building own Web Server

I currently have an Apache 2 Web server, MySQL 5, PHP5 and PhpMyAdmin but it is installed on a windows xp operating sysytem.

If I install a linux operating system do you know if I need to reinstall everything again????

I would also like to install the other items you had listed in your posting:

Also, my ISP blocks some ports, most notably port 80. Is there a way to check to see which ports are avalable or do you know other ports I could use?????

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek2
    I currently have an Apache 2 Web server, MySQL 5, PHP5 and PhpMyAdmin but it is installed on a windows xp operating sysytem.

If I install a linux operating system do you know if I need to reinstall everything again????

I would also like to install the other items you had listed in your posting:

Also, my ISP blocks some ports, most notably port 80. Is there a way to check to see which ports are avalable or do you know other ports I could use?????
    WHen you install a new operating system into your computer, your old applications (in most cases) will no longer function. You WILL NEED TO RESINSTALL them, of course. If you move from one house to another, do you have to change your bed sheets? yes.

www.canyouseeme.org lets you see which ports you have opened. *BUT* you must have a service (a program) listening on the ports that you want checked, or else it doesn't work, and you can't tell if the port is open or not. You can also use the services of www.dyndns.org or www.no-ip.com to reroute port 80 commands to 8088 or 8080 or some other number.

As for your other apps --- no clue!