Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im just curious, anyone else here use Oracle databases from either a DBA or programmer perspective..?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Any Oracle users here?

Im just curious, anyone else here use Oracle databases from either a DBA or programmer perspective..?

Linux Enthusiast

Re: Any Oracle users here?

I've been doing database programming for a couple of years now, MS Acess for the front end (clients demanded it) and Oracle for the back end.

We have Oracle running on Sun, Windows NT, Windows XP and one Mandrake 9.2 box (Mandrake because that is the first set of CDs that came to hand).

It's not an easy install, it fails part of the way through and you have to edit scripts to keep it running, but it can be done. Now it works as well as on the other platforms in spite of being massivly under-speced.

I have done some of the DBA stuff, but mostly just following other peoples instructions.

Linux Newbie
    some of my VB programs are using databases, i use MS Access with SQL, haven't done any online stuff yet though

Linux User

oracle

I've used oracle. Learnt SQL on it in Uni. Have developed some ASP and VB apps with oracle backends. Also an automated graphing tool in excel with VBA through ODBC to an Oracle backend.

Have installed and configured Oracle 8 to deliver training in SQL and very basic dbase admin.

Why you ask?
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Guru

Re: oracle

Quote Originally Posted by kpzani
    I've used oracle. Learnt SQL on it in Uni. Have developed some ASP and VB apps with oracle backends. Also an automated graphing tool in excel with VBA through ODBC to an Oracle backend.

Have installed and configured Oracle 8 to deliver training in SQL and very basic dbase admin.

Why you ask?
    curiousity

Linux Newbie
    the only problem i have with oracle is the price, very expensive.... thats why i have never used it

Linux Engineer
    Im working closly with the DBA-team on my work since we have 200oracle databases and im the linuxadmin on the site. Have also written webb,report,backup solutions against oracle....nice and well equiped database...but as someone else said... EXPENSIVE

Regards

Andutt

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by andutt
    Im working closly with the DBA-team on my work since we have 200oracle databases and im the linuxadmin on the site. Have also written webb,report,backup solutions against oracle....nice and well equiped database...but as someone else said... EXPENSIVE

another problem that i would have with it apart from price is that for ICT it is not the program used for teaching at A level on the national curriculum, so i sort of have to use microsoft access because they teach with microsoft office