Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 5 of 5
I am making a contact manager for windows and i am just trying to expand on it now.. do you think it is a good idea to have a tray ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Swansea (UK)
    Posts
    221

    A good idea, a bad idea?


    I am making a contact manager for windows and i am just trying to expand on it now.. do you think it is a good idea to have a tray icon so that when its minimized it goes into the tray?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB CANADA
    Posts
    496
    You should make both a large and a small icon for it. The small icon is used for displaying folder contents with small icons or details. And isn't this the same one that's used for the tray?
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Swansea (UK)
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperTop
    You should make both a large and a small icon for it. The small icon is used for displaying folder contents with small icons or details. And isn't this the same one that's used for the tray?
    yes i think your missing the point though, i do have large and small icons but what i mean is normally when you minimise a program it goes in the taskbar as a big rectangle shape and you click it to restore the program, i was thinking of having a tray icon (the icons located to the immediate left of the time) instead, anyone think this is a good idea?

  4. #4
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB CANADA
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by ICeMaN
    i do have large and small icons but what i mean is normally when you minimise a program it goes in the taskbar as a big rectangle shape and you click it to restore the program, i was thinking of having a tray icon (the icons located to the immediate left of the time) instead
    Yes, that's what I meant, too. There's a Windows app called Tray-It! that will drop the icon into the systray when you minimize a program instead of just using the task bar. My point was that I believe the standard small icon (that you've already created) is what is used for this purpose. Sorry for any confusion.
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Swansea (UK)
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperTop
    Quote Originally Posted by ICeMaN
    i do have large and small icons but what i mean is normally when you minimise a program it goes in the taskbar as a big rectangle shape and you click it to restore the program, i was thinking of having a tray icon (the icons located to the immediate left of the time) instead
    Yes, that's what I meant, too. There's a Windows app called Tray-It! that will drop the icon into the systray when you minimize a program instead of just using the task bar. My point was that I believe the standard small icon (that you've already created) is what is used for this purpose. Sorry for any confusion.
    yeh it is used for the tray icon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •