Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Best Thing about Open-Source Software?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's *FREE* (as in 'free speech')

3 14.29%
  • It's *FREE* (as in 'free beer')

1 4.76%
  • Security - since it's open, it's open to more scrutiny

0 0%
  • Stability - more scrutiny = less crashes

1 4.76%
  • Flexibility - you can change the code on a whim

2 9.52%
  • Education - you can see the actual code

1 4.76%
  • By the people, for the people

12 57.14%
  • ...at least it's not Microsoft!(tm)

1 4.76%
  • What does "Open-Source" mean again?

0 0%
Please cast your vote for the thing which you personally like the most about open-source software. This is eventually going to be compiled into an article, so comments are welcome. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Thing about Open-Source Software?

Please cast your vote for the thing which you personally like the most about open-source software. This is eventually going to be compiled into an article, so comments are welcome. If you don't wish to be quoted, please add a post-script to your comment and let me know. Also, if your opinion cannot be summed up by one of the poll options (i.e. you dislike OSS), feel free to comment on that as well.

Thanks!
    - AT

By the people, for the people.. Best choice I think.
    Sure it's great that it's free, but a lot of people invested their time and money in it.
    An OS that's available to all created by so many.

That's also why a lot of ppl compare Open Source to communism.

The problem is that it's perfect on paper, but It's bound to get mis-used by people.
    (Also applies to closed sources)
    The problem is not the concept, it's the human that twists it's for it's own personal gains instead of all humanities gain.
    But that origin lies in the drawback of a monetary based economy.
    Sounds scary ? No, ... it's reality, but thats discussing the picture on a different level.

Maybe I'm a dreamer with fait in humanities abilities to do good, maybe I'm not and are a lot of ppl fat up with how things get shoveled down your mouth by the corporations.

On technical side, back down to earth:
    I like to make my own choices on what to run and what not.
    There is nothing more of an ego boost to see your developed application run 'its own life' helped by others...

I'm curious about your article, post it so we can read it...
    And don't hasitate to pm me if your in for a chitchat.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Engineer
    i like open source because it is developed by a community for anyone in the community to use.. and once you become familiar with it and start taking part in the community, you become a part of something that is larger than any one of us...

another reason why is that the software generated by the people using it almost always has only the functionality needed to do its job in the least complicated way possible... or at least the way that seemed the least complicated at the time... i am a big fan of conciseness and higher efficiency in any kind of work..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

By the people, for the people
    hehe sounds like an old marxist slogan, but enough on that

What I like the most about free software is that you don't have to sign some stupid EULA that takes away about every right there is. That's why I like the GPL so much; I think its synonymous with freedom.

I also like the whole movement that's behind the GPL. It has introduced me to some new, interesting people and ways to think.

Good luck with your article

Linux Guru
    The thing l like most about Free Software, is the fact that the software is available for everyone to use, modify, improve and redistribute.

The ability to uses someone elses code, make enhancements or a modifications to it so that the piece of software does exactly what I want it to do and not what someone sitting in an office *thinks* I would want software to be able to do, is something you cannot put a price on.

Jason

Just Joined!
    When I become a better programmer I will enjoy the fact that I can modify and improve to my heart's content, thus customizing and giving back to the community. For now, I like how it is free.

Taz
    Just Joined!
    BTPFTP, dealing, working and meeting all the great people associated with OSS! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Opnosforatou
    The problem is not the concept, it's the human that twists it's for it's own personal gains instead of all humanities gain.
    But that origin lies in the drawback of a monetary based economy.
    Sounds scary ? No, ... it's reality, but thats discussing the picture on a different level.
    It's too bad more people in the world don't realize this.

I love Linux for the Free Speech aspect as well as the community. Look at these forums...people helping people every day...and we aren't limited to what we can see. We can change the source (as J said it) to do what we want it to do. We can code a program to run on X without having to guess about different APIs and what some line of code might do. Tis the power of freedom.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Why must I choose only one thing, OSS is so much good things
    By the people, for the people - becuase making software is making love
    (ok, maybe the phrasing might trigger some im-pure thoughts - just `gcc post -o thought && strip thought` :P )
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Linux Guru
    I love Linux for the Free Speech aspect as well as the community. Look at these forums...people helping people every day...
    I couldn't agree more, Sarumont!

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude