Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need arguments against OSS/FS and GNU/Linux. I will refute these arguments on tuesday. Here are the ones that I have heard before. OSS/FS and GNU/Linux is a communistic ideal. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

writing my second speech

I need arguments against OSS/FS and GNU/Linux. I will refute these arguments on tuesday. Here are the ones that I have heard before.

OSS/FS and GNU/Linux is a communistic ideal.
    Its bad for business.
    Hard to use.
    Isnt professional so it isnt as good.

Any pointers on haw to argue these would be appreciated and any other arguments would be great.

Thanx for any help in advance

bignester.
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Linux Guru

Re: writing my second speech

Quote Originally Posted by bignester
    Nonsense, how can they say that, do they have proof? ask them to backup this accusation..

Its bad for business.
    How is it? If it means a companies computer systems crash less, and dont cost $$$$ in licencing, i dont see how.

Hard to use.
    Microsoft windows was hard to use the very first time you used a PC.

Isnt professional so it isnt as good.
    ********. ask them to backup this accusation..

Jason

Just Joined!
    not sure if you've read this info or not but two links that might provide some arguments for you to talk against.

Open Source is anti-capitalistic from MS point of view

&

The Halloween document

one other thing of note, i was unable to open the first link in firefox on my Redhat machine, but on XP it opened fine. weird if you ask me.

Well...J said it. Very concisely, you can shove all those arguments back in the faces of your classmates.

Here are some args. from the top of my head:

1) Anyone can see the code, so anyone can exploit it.
    2) You can't make money selling free software.
    1) There are so many people running/developing the software that typically a patch is released before an exploit becomes known. Or even becomes an exploit.

2) Look at RedHat.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

What's bad about that?

Its bad for business.
    Companies like Redhat makes good money off GNU. It saves money in increased uptime. Its free, don't have to pay $100 * 1000 in licensing costs.

Hard to use.
    If you see logical as hard, ok. But its really easy, you just have to think "ah, this isn't Windows so maybe things are done differently here" etc..

Isnt professional so it isnt as good
    If it isn't professional, what is Windows then? kindergarden? I mean, eg. IIS is much more lower quality than Apache.

Let's take a closer look at that Sasser virus shall we....
    And the patch distribution of M$ windos....
    Any idea why milions are/got infected ?

Try fixing a security bug without your daily reboot.....

Linux hard to use?, ever talked to ppl how just switched from good old DOS to Windows 3.11 and later to 95/98 ....

Gnu/Linux an communistic ideal ??? Since when is the right to have a choice communistic ?
    It's better then having a democratic, appointed choice by bill, shoved down your throat.
    I don't need Bill's permission to go to the bathroom now do I ?
    Or pulling the toiletseat up and down several time before/during or after using it .... due to a systemcrash

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Well, I can understand why some might confuse it with communism, but I think its wrong. First off all, the GPL advocates private property and market economy. That seems to me the most major difference it might have. I also remeber Stallman saying "I'm not a communist, I think buisness deals are good" some time ago in a documentary about GNU. But all he wants is the software to be shared.

Since when is the right to have a choice communistic ?
    Its pretty much baked into marxism, but that is a whole different topic and way off-topic for this forum

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kriss
    What's bad about that?
    That would be an execellent way to answer that question in a debate, it would be interesting to try to see your opponent try to get out of it

Its pretty much baked into marxism, but that is a whole different topic and way off-topic for this forum
    Yeah, you are right. But see it as a snear towards the people who accuse linux of being a communistic thing....
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    when they say linux is communism tell them no since communist requires a leader, a party, somthing linux does not have, rather it is cummunity orented development which requires the input of all people involved, it cannot be communist because no one person can benifit more then another since the product will remain the same for all people.
    And that the notion of cummunism died with the idea of which hunts and seperation of many fractions such as the NATO(noth atlantic treaty organisation) and the warsaw pact(like nato but for communuist countries),two ideas that a cummunity oriented software cannot have to be able to exist.

the idea that it is bad for buisness is as ludicrus as having one company control 1000 companies IT departments, having choice is what keeps inovation coming, it drive bthe world economy, it does not theaten it, Imagine what would happen if the origonal 13 colonies in the us had no choice to seprate from britian, were would we be(for better or worse)
    excuse my grammar

It's hard to use/ learn to do or make
    like anything else the learning curve is steep but did bill gates say that when he created his basic inturpreter, when charles darwin created his therory of evelotion when you tried to mastor multiplcation

Isnt professional so it isnt as good
    who is to say what is professional, is professional a monoply? A sparkly button, 2 thousand pages of text, the defination of professional is being rewriten by the masses for the masses, we no longer have to have to be told what to think for we have evolved passed the day when we need the rule of a king of ceo since now we now our direction