Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry for the off beat question. Could someone give me a quick heads up on interpreting vmstat, ps, and top outputs in regards to memory usage? My question in particular ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NetBSD memory usage

Sorry for the off beat question. Could someone give me a quick heads up on interpreting vmstat, ps, and top outputs in regards to memory usage? My question in particular is in regards to NetBSD, but I think the general info could be applied to the Linux and Solaris world (I think).

I've been trying to get a good grip on the differences of rss (resident set size) and vsz (virtural set size) of a process. Then roll in the usage of shared memory...overall, how can I get a good idea of how much memory a certain set up processes are actually using.

My comment about being NetBSD specific is that I don't really know how uvm plays into all of this. In NetBSD when using top, most of the system daemons show up using what appears to be some shared memory space. Over time that space grows and shrinks and I was wondering if there's anyway to control that.

PS: I've read all the man pages and have already tried many google searches on the topic of memory usage. I'm still hazy in the interpretation, so I'm just asking for people's general view on doing memory performance measurements. By the way, throwing in any discussion on buffer and cache usage would be most benificial to me as well. I'm a Linux and Solaris user, but the system I'm playing on now just happens to be NetBSD.

Linux Guru
    I can't really answer your question any better then reading the man pages would.

Just wondering, is that tetra as in LoZ:WW?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude