Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How many computer books do you guys buy per year? I seem to accumulate books like no tomorrow, just wondered if anyone else was an impulse book buyer Does anyone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Computer Books?

How many computer books do you guys buy per year?

I seem to accumulate books like no tomorrow, just wondered if anyone else was an impulse book buyer

Does anyone have a favourite/prefered company for buying books from?

Jason

I buy quite a lot of books. About half of them is computer related, others are more political (even though you find both, like Stallman's book etc). My computer-books are mostly something about GNU/Linux or programming (even though I'm to lazy to complete them).

Favorite publisher must be Sams (not all books are of high quality though) and O'Reilly (amazingly good quality).

Linux Guru
    Definatelty seem to accumlate books by the masses. Books and magazines. Books always get you when they're on sale, like at Barnes and Noble, they always have the oldest edition on sale. I got O'Reilly's 2nd edition Learning Perl book for like $12 because the 3rd edition had just come out. : D

Magazine's like Linux Journal always get you with their snazzy covers and headlines.

I'd totally agree with Kriss, Sam's are a good buy, but O'Reilly's going to be the old and tatered reference book long after Sams has bit the dust. Another cheap solution is the cursed bible's book, you know... Like the Complete Redhat bible.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i get tons of books i currently own 21 or so and then i have about 5 or so that i borrowed from work. but the sad thing is i havent read very many of them lol. but i love getting books i go into a book store and i buy atleast one book if i have the money its jst something i do alot of.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Engineer
    i think any geek will accumulate tech books once they reach a certain level of experience and want to know more... there's only so much you can learn by poking at a system before you'll need a little help learning... and books (dead-tree versions) are great when you can't remember that one bit of syntax that keeps screwing up whatever you're trying to do...

i'm like big_k... if i go to a bookstore, i usually buy at least one book if i have the cash... my favorite place to get books is the used bookstore, though... i managed to get 3 books that the cover prices on them together was $130US for $15US...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

I dont have a habit of just buying them but if i need it or its had good reviews and i know ill learn something ill get it. Only own about 15 books but my fav publishers are obcourse O'reilly, Wrox, Wiley thats about all that sticks out in my mind.

I have a dozen or so...have not bought any in a bit...and have not read any of em all the way through...mostly used for reference ...thinking of buying some more soon though

Linux Newbie
    I was buying around 4 books a month there for a little while ... but now I'm saving to buy a house so I can't splurge like before.

My favorite publisher is O'Reilly. I owned about 90% of their Perl series until the last couple that have come out. I got 2 Copies of Programming Perl and 3 copies of Perl in a Nutshell ( 1 home, 1 work, one with the CD bookshelf ), and the CD bookshelf that duplicates existing hard copy books but is much more mobile.

I have somewhere around 25 O'Reilly books.

Oh, and I almost always buy overstock books or from e-bay. Screw paying full price.
    [ [ SykkN alloc ] initWithThePowerTo: destroyYouAll ];
    /* Don\'t make me use it! */

Linux Guru
    do people perfer buying online or offline (heh, whats that?) in a shop?

Linux Newbie
    Online if I can get it for under $25 .... Otherwise I'll go to the bookstore cause I hate to wait. Then again ... if it's in safari.oreilly.com I can put it in my bookshelf there until the hard copy is shipped.
    [ [ SykkN alloc ] initWithThePowerTo: destroyYouAll ];
    /* Don\'t make me use it! */

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast