Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
there's this someone i know in school. he tells me not so long ago, "Linux is only great for servers, and anything other than that is for Windoze." sad to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

too traditional

there's this someone i know in school. he tells me not so long ago, "Linux is only great for servers, and anything other than that is for Windoze."

sad to say, this guy is a good Linux admin. tsk, tsk, tsk.. . can't figure him out. why did he spend years learning/using linux and surfing the web using Lynx, as he told me, and still think that way? he could've surfed the web using IE and all! i could understand that he was only teaching himself, and for experience and all that, but.... said it right to my face, just like that. and i could see he was pretty serious about what he said.
    Registered User #345074

Just Joined!
    goes back to that what are you using it for thing

Linux User
    yep, it all boils down to preference. but what he said really struck me.. . anyway, i'm not against Windo$e. nope. i'm just sOOooooo bored with it.. . linux is very flexible, there's always something exciting to learn about it. i just love it!

Registered User #345074

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by xylex_blaiste
    .. . anyway, i'm not against Windo$e. nope. i'm just sOOooooo bored with it..
    You need to spend more time in the wrong company

Visit the IRC channel
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by u231
    I don't agre. You kan use KDE for everyting you need. You kan use OO.org for all your needs. Custum application can either run with Wine, or in a virtual machine like VM-Ware.

Linux has it all!

The problem is educating endusers for GNU/linux & KDE (or gnome).

Linux User
    ummm.. . ok, i'm not following you Chris H. ey don't get me wrong dude when i said i'm not against Windo$e. about 95% of my computer usage is done thru Linux. i just have to turn to Windo$e to play super text twist or warcraft. that's about it. and i only play those games like once in a month or never. ever since i migrated to Linux last aug 2003, i have been using it 95% of the time. my friend calls me a Linux salesman coz everytime we talk i always say shift to Linux, shift to Linux, it's GREAT!!! i've given my sister a copy of my RedHat 9. i've given my cousin one too. my other very good friend just shifted to Gentoo, although he's been a Linux user older than me, but still couldn't shift to Linux for some reasons. now that we talk a lot about the same things, interests - Linux - well, i'm not alone anymore in this Windo$e dominated city and so is he. that's how little you can find Linux users here. not just for programming and stuff, but also for regular desktop usage. almost everyone here (in my city) thinks that Linux is just for geeks or don't know Linux at all! hahaha.. . they are simply mistaken.. .
    Registered User #345074

Just Joined!
    I say everyone is just being forced to use winblows as usual, Linux kicks butt and any admin who runs linux and hates it must be off his rocker he eh or must love to have to constantly patch nt servers.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDemon
    I don't agre. You kan use KDE for everyting you need. You kan use OO.org for all your needs. Custum application can either run with Wine, or in a virtual machine like VM-Ware.

Linux has it all!

The problem is educating endusers for GNU/linux & KDE (or gnome).
    take two total newb, your 70 year old parents or grandparents one with xp and one with linux any distro and tell them to download and install a dvd player and unreal tournemnt from the internet who do you think will finish first? but other than that linux when thier is no proplems is much eaiseir to install, you really only need to isntall a video card driver and your good
    which brings me to my next point, i put xp back on my box for games, 2 weeks later fedors going strong and some 30-40 viruse(i don't know because norton hangs after finding 20-viruses in a quarter of my harddrive) almost destroyed my computer with it's bluse screen and my hard-drive speeds up to so i earesed eXtrem Poo

Just Joined!
    tell them to download and install a dvd player and unreal tournemnt from the internet who do you think will finish first?
    The one with the fastest internet connection wins. Both winXp and KDE come with dvd-players. (only if you are using a big distro like SuSE, you will need to install libdvdcss in order to watch entrypted dvd's)

As for UT, my grandparents won't play it ... But if they wish, it's just as easy to install it in tux, as it is in Xp. (just download it, and double klick it, they both have graphicle installers).

As for apps that need wine, then some distro's have very nice wine interfaces. I believe SuSE 9.0 with WineRack makes it possible to run/load win-applications from within your K menu! (for example, if you whould install Win UT, then after install there will be a link to UT in your K-menu!)

i put xp back on my box for games, 2 weeks later fedors going strong and some 30-40 viruse(i don't know because norton hangs after finding 20-viruses in a quarter of my harddrive) almost destroyed my computer with it's bluse screen and my hard-drive speeds up to so i earesed eXtrem Poo
    [joke] Well let that be a lesson for you mister. Don't you ever even try to install M$ software when using TuX. This time we only gave you 30-40 virusses but next time it will be a 100.[/joke]
    Virusses/Worms/Trojans/Addware/Spywhere/Poo are all big problems in Microsoft-land. Is it not possible for you to use wineX for your gaming needs? (or just play tux-racer! (whitch is lame) for the rest of your life )

Just Joined!
    winex is only about out of my budget, and let me claricy, two equally skillep people, an equal distance from the server with equal connections on equall computers and 6 cans of coke/redbull

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast