Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Dear readers of this forum, I will call you my friends, because about now I really need some good friends. I have done a LBO (This is the lowest education ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The LowLands (Netherlands)
    Posts
    12

    Help! I am being subjected to Microsoft EndUser Propaganda!


    Dear readers of this forum,

    I will call you my friends, because about now I really need some good friends. I have done a LBO (This is the lowest education in my contry) education and did not finish it (Dropped out of highschool). Because I have been sick and because of the bad market here I have been jobless for about 2 years. In 1998 I was first subjected to a Windows OS. This was called Windows98, a scary virus that infected my first computer. When I asked around to some people if there was not a better alternative for this horrid evil someone told me about GNU/linux! I went to a local softwarestore and bought SuSE 6.something. After some months of reinstalling it over and over again (because I mess it up all the time ) I finally got some hang off of it!

    When the years past I grew very accustom to it. I learned C programming and even wrote some machine code. Currently, I can not say that I am a exceptional programmer, but my understanding of software is not so bad. And even though I really am no GNU/linux, Unix GuRu, I can still do a lot with my linux box! From 1998 to 2000 I had read a hole lot of internet pages that tutored me to the skill level that I have now for both GNU/linux & C programming. I even worked as Junior Programmer/Webmaster for 2 years! (this was my last job).

    Except for this last job, my resume really bites! So I thought it could be handy that I got some diploma's. I have started a course today that is called "Digital Drivers License". This is a course that exist of 7 certificates which in the and can be trade for a diploma. This diploma (digital drivers license) is a well known European diploma that tells that you can work with Microsoft products as an End User. (This will really open op a lot of doors for me!, I can probably get some kind of cheesy office job!)

    The first module of the course is called "IT: Information Technology". The next lines are just some lines (there are more like them) that I have translated for you in English (as best as I can!)

    #1 A Microcomputer (PC) will always have "one" CPU (They even translated CPU to something Dutch (CVE) which no system administrator or software developer will understand)
    #2 A Microcomputer (PC) is always single user.
    #3 An operating system like windows makes it possible to run multiple processes at once
    #4 Unix can be installed on a Microcomputer (PC)
    #5 A "HyperText" is a link that links to relevant text
    #6 A harddisk, jazzdisk, zipdisk, DAT-type is RAM (Random Access Memory)
    #7 A CDR can be anywhere between 650mb and 800mb.

    These comments below are the things I have learned over the years by reading websites, job experience and talking a lot to higher educated people (that have studied Information Technology). Please correct me if I am wrong.

    About #1. A Microcomputer (PC) CAN have more then one CPU.
    About #2. The Microcomputer (PC) does not determen if it is single/multi user. The OS does this.
    About #3. Are they not confusing Multi Tasking with Multi Processing (which is not possible on IA32)
    About #4. Does this not tell that a Microcomputer (PC) CAN be Multi User
    About #5. I have been a webmaster for two years, and my view on hypertext has always been that it is a webpage (HTML defines hypertext) (They are confusing it with a "HyperLink")
    About #6 Its storing media, really not RAM.
    About #7 I never ever saw a 800mb CDR disc. But if they are out there then tell me where to buy them! (They probably mean 80min)

    These are just 7 things that I have remembered from this morning. Some of tease points I have told the teacher to be wrong. But she says: "You have a lot of computer experience, you must see all this in the eye's of end users". So this means that the source of DUMB end-users is education like this!

    It actually does not matter if I am wright or wrong. The bottom line is that on the exam, I have to provied the answers from the books that they use, and not my own truth. This really blows and is kind of typical. I have to act stupid on order to get a stupid job, which is stupid!

    So instead of learning/mastering new things, I have to learn to be stupid, that will make me look stupid at job interviews in order to get a stupid job... Is it not stupid?


    Well anyways, thanks for you attention. Writing this document has really been therapeutic, the frustration is flowing away. It's a strange world " I " live in

    Greetz,

    Mel -> SoulDemon.

    --
    If the spelling is great praise ASpell, if the spelling is bad blame me

  2. #2
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    130
    Well, what can you say. There's a lot of ******** in the world, and sometimes you just have to buy it for the sake of it.

    My tip : act stupid, and forget everything they said after the exams.
    Myself, I am currently studying Computer Science at University level...

    I am happy to say, they seem to be a little more enlightened, but they do tell us stupid things from time to time.

    Anyways, good luck, and I am sure you will get a cheesy office job (which is not to be despised, because you get to play with staplers whenever you want =)

    /ooop

  3. #3
    Linux Guru sarumont's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    /dev/urandom
    Posts
    3,682
    Quote Originally Posted by ooop
    I am happy to say, they seem to be a little more enlightened, but they do tell us stupid things from time to time.
    Yes, they do.

    Quote Originally Posted by ooop
    Anyways, good luck, and I am sure you will get a cheesy office job (which is not to be despised, because you get to play with staplers whenever you want =)
    As long as you keep the Swingline...it doesn't jam as much.


    But back on topic...yes, it seems like the course is quite incorrect in those 7 points. You cannot, however, remove ignorance from the classroom. I proposed in Database Systems last fall that M$ was not the best solution for DBs...mysql was. The prof. scoffed at me. What are you going to do?

    I'd have to agree with ooop...just act stupid, get the degree, but remember what they teach you so you can make fun of everyone who agrees with them.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  4. #4
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The LowLands (Netherlands)
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by ooop
    Anyways, good luck, and I am sure you will get a cheesy office job (which is not to be despised, because you get to play with staplers whenever you want =)
    Yes this is cool. Then I can also make figures out of paperclips!

    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    But back on topic...yes, it seems like the course is quite incorrect in those 7 points. You cannot, however, remove ignorance from the classroom. I proposed in Database Systems last fall that M$ was not the best solution for DBs...mysql was. The prof. scoffed at me. What are you going to do?
    If he/she really is a proff. Then should he/she not be more open-minded. They of all people should know that no-one-mind knows everything about computers. And I find it kind of rude and unprofessional for a high educated mind to subeject to mockary.

    Quote Originally Posted by ooop
    My tip : act stupid, and forget everything they said after the exams.
    Yeah, join the hive, give up my individualality (for now) so I can get grades high enough to get the diploma. After that, break my link to the collective and become a individaul again. -- And they say that resistence is futile! --

    Anyways, thanks for your reactions.

    Greetz.

    "The truth is out there"

  5. #5
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,284
    The ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) is really (IMO) for people who have barely used a PC, but want to learn enough to be able to type letters and use a spreadsheet.

    As you already familiar with programming etc, and have the dedication to learn new things on your own initive, why not look more towards a programming course? I wouldnt advise anyone to try going down the "web designer" road, as everyone and his dog is already doing this, but if you can become a really strong C / ASM programmer i dont think you will have any trouble finding work.

    Jason

  6. #6
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The LowLands (Netherlands)
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    The ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) is really (IMO) for people who have barely used a PC, but want to learn enough to be able to type letters and use a spreadsheet.
    Yes it seems that it is. And this thought is kind of scary! Because when I have this ECDL and will try and get a job, then what does this say about me and my knowledge and skills. I have no education at all, and the only diploma that I will have is this.

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    As you already familiar with programming etc, and have the dedication to learn new things on your own initive, why not look more towards a programming course?
    The job market here in Holland was great just some years ago. Thats why I was lucky to get the Junior Programmer/Webmaster job. But from 9/11 till now, the job market has crashed seriously (together with the economy). Little computer companies go broke (this is what happend to the company I was working for), and big companies had serious reorganizations which resulted in hundreds (in some cases even thousends) of people losing there job. Now (2004) if you want to be a programmer, then you need AT LEAST MBO (Middle Profession Education) in Information Technology. The teacher of the ECDL course that I am doing now has said that it can be possible for me to get MBO (for Information technology) in under 2 years (normally MBO takes 4 years I believe). And still have a job during the schooling (which I really need now, I am living off of the lowest form of income that is possible in Holland (if you are single and live on your own)). I don't know of any other way to get a computer-job in Holland now without at least MBO.

    If I really MUST have a computer job, then MBO is the way. If I really what a great computer job then HBO (Higher Profession Education) is the way. But HBO requires you to have a relavant MBO diploma (or in some cases just some MBO modules).

    I just want a job that I can live with. Any office job will do about now. The ECDL seemed as a good way to go at the time, but now I have my doubts. Anyways, the ECDL course will only cost me 150 euro's and if I really want it, I can probably do it in 3 months.

    I am thinking about doing MBO, but there are some pitfalls there which I need to consider.

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    I wouldnt advise anyone to try going down the "web designer" road, as everyone and his dog is already doing this, but if you can become a really strong C / ASM programmer i dont think you will have any trouble finding work.
    I like backend programming/scripting for websites, but frontend, making the layout and graphical design, really bites (I'm what you can call "code ex-centric").

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    but if you can become a really strong C / ASM programmer i dont think you will have any trouble finding work.
    Maybe, but now (2004) you really need at least MBO in Holland.

    Anyways, thanks for your reply!

    Friendly Regards,

    Mel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •