View Poll Results: Do you use gentoo?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 37.50%
  • No

15 62.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by Hotwheelz Just downloaded it, and burning it now. Install coming soon!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwheelz
    Just downloaded it, and burning it now. Install coming soon!
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwheelie
    Just downloaded it, and burning it now. Install coming soon!
    Yeah, that's a bit optimistic....

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, I opened my mouth a bit too early Ive gotten to the downloaded part

Linux Engineer
    Keep going though. Gentoo is worth it.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    Keep going though. Gentoo is worth it.
    Alright. I shall. Ill work on it a little more tonight.

Just Joined!
    use the installation guides, they work miracles. They very good, presise and can definitily get you through an installation of it. fire me a message too if you want help also.

oh, and see I use Gentoo. I wanna get LFS this summer, but that's another story...

Linux Newbie
    I looked through the install guides, and they are very nice. Problem is, when I printed them out, for some reason, it didnt print the entire thing. It left bits and pieces out A waste of a ton of paper

One question I do have. Would I be better off formatting the HD that I am installing Linux to, than just installing over the previous install of Mandrake?

Alright, and im going to ask a question. Ill problem sound stupid. But, which ISO do I need to download? Im completely and utterly confused. It could be a mix of the little sleep, coffee to fix that problem, and the fact that im new to Linux

Just Joined!
    well you have two options: the install minimum and the install full. Here's the different: The install minimum is just the basics off the cd to get your computer running and starting the installation. The full gives you a bunch of the extra things you don't need like the stages on the cd, and additional and extra things. depends on what you want, i personally use the minimal cd, as i do the majority of installing online.

As for overwriting the Mandrake partition, not nessisary you can just make more alongside of it, but if you want to only have one distro at a time it'd be good to write over Mandrake probably then. Might not want to in the beginning though so in case something goes wrong or you don't like it, you can just go back to Mandrake.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dswain
    well you have two options: the install minimum and the install full. Here's the different: The install minimum is just the basics off the cd to get your computer running and starting the installation. The full gives you a bunch of the extra things you don't need like the stages on the cd, and additional and extra things. depends on what you want, i personally use the minimal cd, as i do the majority of installing online.

As for overwriting the Mandrake partition, not nessisary you can just make more alongside of it, but if you want to only have one distro at a time it'd be good to write over Mandrake probably then. Might not want to in the beginning though so in case something goes wrong or you don't like it, you can just go back to Mandrake.
    Alright. The reason I asked that is because the only minimal install cd is the LiveCD. Threw me off, considering it is a live cd.

As for keeping Mandrake, if I run into problems I will just reinstall Mandrake. No big deal. Actually, im having problems with Mandrake anyway, so ill have to reinstall either way.

Just Joined!
    i understand. actually they are both live-cd's, simply though the complete cd comes with many things right off the cd, making for easy access, but i think its pretty easy just all online.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast