View Poll Results: Do you use gentoo?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 37.50%
  • No

15 62.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Well I cant get the NIC configured. Ive done everything it says to do, and its not working. So I am going to download the full install cd. Hopefully that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Well I cant get the NIC configured. Ive done everything it says to do, and its not working.

So I am going to download the full install cd. Hopefully that works. I also have a program cd. Will I be asked at some point to grab programs off that?

Gentoo is evil. At the moment. But, it has my interest now, mostly because I cant get it installed at the moment....and im going to get this done. Even if it takes me awhile

EDIT: I really appreciate the help I have been given, both in this thread and the other. I apologize for hijacking this thread. Please carry on with the intended topic

Just Joined!
    when i get around to buying cd-r

Just Joined!
    what NIC-Card do you have? you may have to manually probe for the module to use. For example, my card is the rtl8139. so i have to do "modprobe 8139too" and then "net-setup eth0" and then i choose DHCP and it generally works.

Linux Newbie
    Im using the onboard NIC on an ABIT NF7-S mobo, with the nVidia chipset. Ive tried modprobe, and none of them are working. They all fail.

Just Joined!
    ahhh okay looking around, you're using an NForce chipset. The NForce chipsets requier a certain driver to be used, which usually you have to install manually, but in this case thats not very possibly now is it... hmm i'll look around some more for you on info for it

try this first:
    as a command, go for this:

ls /lib/modules/uname -r/kernel/drivers/net

and see if it lists any drivers which it may use. Another thing to check is to make sure that its working (i'm sure you've check but just in case) do

ping -c 3 www.google.com

and see if it makes contact. If it does then you should be good to go. If not then it can be worked at more. I'll keep searching.

here we go. do

modprobe nforce-net

and then

net-setup eth0

and configure from there to see if it works.

Linux Newbie
    Well, its working. I installed a 2nd NIC (I didnt see the above post, but its working so im not going to mess with it) and after doing a few modprobes that I found on google, its running.

Im using Links2 to post this, actually. Very different, hopefully this works.

One question I do have is, im download an update stage file, but I had already installed one earlier. Should I just delete everything and start the install over?

Just Joined!
    the one you previously have installed should operate fine. You may want to start over for the sake of having the most up-to-date stage (not sure how much the ISO's are updated) but it shouldn't be a problem to use the original.

Linux Newbie
    Im done with it. I cant get this thing to work, and im tired of bugging people with questions

Thank you for all the help that has been given to me.

Bah, if it really was a bother I don't think people would answer. Perhaps someday you will go back to it. I am currently dual-booting 2 distros, and left space for a playdistro, of which gentoo is at the top of my list. What happened to you is extremly similar to what happened to me, except mine was I just couldn't get the kernel to compile. Soon I'll be going back though, hopefully you might decide to someday too.

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, I probably will at some point. Im just so frustrated right now, because it seems that when one thing goes wrong, everything goes wrong. I just need to get Linux up and running, as I have a ton of homework for Linux to make up

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast