Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Linux distribution for older/weaker hardware?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arch

3 3.16%
  • Damn Small Linux (DSL)

31 32.63%
  • Debian

19 20.00%
  • Puppy

7 7.37%
  • Slackware

10 10.53%
  • Vector

4 4.21%
  • Zenwalk

4 4.21%
  • Other (please list below)

17 17.89%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This poll/thread is meant to help those users that are having difficulty deciding which distribution(s) they should use to work with their older/weaker computer. Please use it to post information ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Favorite Distro for Older/Weaker Hardware

This poll/thread is meant to help those users that are having difficulty deciding which distribution(s) they should use to work with their older/weaker computer. Please use it to post information about your favorite distro for older/weaker hardware, but don't post comments saying that any particular distro is the best, because the best truly is very subjective.

Note that this thread will be locked and/or deleted at the end of the year and a new thread started.
    oz

Damn Small Linux.
    it has two versions. DSL having kernel version 2.4 and DSL-N having kernel version 2.6.
    one should try DSL first, if it doesn't work, DSL-N will definitely work,
    Last edited by devils casper; 04-19-2007 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

It is close between Vector and Slack, but I went with Slack because it was the first after all.
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

I would say Arch or Slack, but Arch takes the ball. I don't have much personal experience with it like I do with Slack, however I learned it in college. Great for beginners and easy to work with. I completely recommend this distro to anyone interested in Linux.
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431

I voted DSL, although i have not actually tried it before but i have heard many a good review and distrowatch shows that its really getting up there with the major distros.
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

oz
    forum.guy

voted Slackware...

I voted Slackware, but Zenwalk and DSL are right up there with it.
    oz

Linux Enthusiast
    I went with Slackware here! I used the process of elimination. Zenwalk, DSL and Puppy really aren't FULL distros and sometimes I just have to have GCC and headers (my test comptures need to be connected to the internet through a wireless card, which has a free driver but needs to be compiled). Vector really isn't a lightweight distro but a "more polished" Slackware. Debian is nice, I might favorite over all distro, but doesn't seem to do so well with a slow processor. And I've never tried Arch, but from what I gather it's a source distro, which doesn't mate well with older hardware.

There's also another distro out there called DeLi Linux which is specially geared toward 486-to-PI/II processors which is really nice. I think if it were on the list I would have a hard time choosing between it and Slackware.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

That's vector for me, though it requires more power than DSL. If you got >400MHz and >128 Mb you are ok with Vector (running xfce)
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Damn Small Linux has been good to me....
    -D-

Registered User # 402675

I do love DSL, and I use slack for some things too. I voted "other", tho, because in my ordinary day-to-day usage I always use Mandriva, and have been running it very successful on pretty old hardware all of my Linux life. Probably the oldest box I've put it on was a 266Mhz proc, 192Mb ram old beast which is now my server, so this might not be a valid answer for anyone who's planning to use even older hardware.

Just always use blackbox
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast