Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I was poking around e-bay here in Australia looking for Linux distros, when I came across a listing containing the quote below. Just one question - this guyīs distributing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is this technically pirating Linux distro???

Hi

I was poking around e-bay here in Australia looking for Linux distros, when I came across a listing containing the quote below. Just one question - this guyīs distributing Suse 9.0 Pro (having obviously just copied the originals) - isnīt this piracy? īCause as far as Iīm aware, Suse distros (the latest version) arenīt a free for all like the other distros, because they conain licensed materials.

Get 4 of the Latest Released Popular Linux Distributions

* SuSE 9.0 Pro
    * Mandrake 10.0 Official
    * Fedora Core 2
    * Debian 3.0 R2

What do I get in this package?

* 22 CDs
    o Mandrake 4CDs
    o SuSE 5CDs
    o Fedora 9CDs
    o Debian 4CDs

* Each CD comes in a colored protective sleeve

Linux Guru
    I don't think that's legal, but I'm no lawyer so don't quote me. I think the reason that suse isn't free is becuase of yast, the installer. I've heard rumors that novell plans on releasing yast as open source, clearing the way for iso's and the such. You'd almost think they'd have to stay competitive?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Engineer
    It is completly legal. You could even rename them to "bazoongaOS" and sell it if you wanted.

don
    Linux Newbie
    I think as long as any software is under the GNU/GPL license it can be redistributed and modified freely. However any copyrighted code.. though open source cannot be modified or redistributed without the authors consent.
    I\'m just a simple fisherman blessed with a lot of friends

^ Yeah,

As well, SuSe distributes proprietary drivers for nVidia and ati cards.

In my thinking, this is FULLY legal, and as Variant said could call it "bazoongaOS" (good name variant!!) BUT he would have to include the original copyright files that SuSE put on the distro's. Because Linux is GNU/GPL, you have the right to distribute/modify it in ANYWAY you feel appropriate, AS LONG as u include the original copyrights.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if i remember correctly, this is what my university lecturer told me.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Guru
    Because Linux is GNU/GPL, you have the right to distribute/modify it in ANYWAY you feel appropriate, AS LONG as u include the original copyrights.

This is totally correct. And I think for everything but Suse, it's legal becuase there distributed under the gpl, including their repective installers. The reason that Suse doens't release ISO's is becuase yast isn't gpl, that's why you have to install from ftp or buy the cd.

Any Suse users here to clarify?
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Engineer
    If they are Suse Pro then they contain some proprietary software which can't be distributed willy-nilly cos of licencing and copyright issues.

IMO that makes it dodgy to be copying and selling on, both actions IMO not legal.

Least that's what I think.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Why not legal? It's just like rsync'ing the server down to your computer cos u have broadband and then allowing a friend to install it on his pc's as he only has dial up, it's not illegal him to have it cos he could have used your broadband, but then i guess this is different to copying cd's and selling them. I'm fairly sure SuSE would not have a problem with people distributing it this way, as people with fast connections (like me) could install it for free anyway.

If i were to do this, i would only charge people for the cost of my CD's, and not charge anything as such for linux as it is generally a free-open-source OS

ps. glad my uni life isn't being COMPLETELY wasted, and i am learnin stuff bout linux licensing etc!!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Because Linux is GNU/GPL, you have the right to distribute/modify it in ANYWAY you feel appropriate, AS LONG as u include the original copyrights.
    [...] Suse doens't release ISO's is becuase yast isn't gpl, that's why you have to install from ftp or buy the cd.
    Yes. Actually my first foray into linux was the Mandrake 9.0 Powerpack. Not all the software on that was GPL either, whenever I would install certain software I would recieve the obligatory `this ain't yours atall' warning. So there are, I would suppose, several versions of multiple distros that cannot be sold.

I guess it would depend on whether he was selling cd's that had all the non-GPL software removed from the source.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast