Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm pretty new to the wonderful world of Linux, but my friend is even newer. He asks me for help all the time, but unfortunately, there are many times I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

My friend's idea to get help for Linux

I'm pretty new to the wonderful world of Linux, but my friend is even newer. He asks me for help all the time, but unfortunately, there are many times I can't help him. He has a hard time getting the Linux gurus to answer any of his questions as well, as his questions, and mine as well, mostly rise from our ignorance of the OS, but he has devised a way to get every Linux guru on a forum rushing to answer his question. You start the post as such "Windows is better than Linux because [fill in the blank, for example because it's hard to install something on Linux]," and every Linux guru around will come and try to prove you wrong. It actually works, usually.

Just Joined!
    Haha, trust me I still do it myself to people. Year and a half (probably more) and I manage to create strange problems which very few people have seen. Guru's are very good at what they know, but they can't be expected to know every little error that is generated. If its common, usually some guidance can be lead, but sometimes its just not possible. Any guru who comes around also and tries to force Linux onto you isn't much of a guru. And if they are, well its because they're well ajusted to there system. The reality is, its whatever works for you. If Windows works, then Windows works. If not, then maybe Linux, MacOS, and so on. Something is bound to fit in correctly. It can be kind of annoying to hear "Why doesn't Linux do (this that and the other thing) and Windows can?!?!" a lot. It simply doesn't. That's whats nice about Linux, if you really want the option is there for you to recommend, or add yourself. Plus, why post why Windows is better than Linux on a Linux forum? I suppose it just gets annoying after a while.

Conclusion: Things get strange, questions get reptitve, this is why things happen. Its all good in the end though

Just Joined!
    You are all getting sleepy you will all use linux lnux ha ha

Linux is to be used by professionals aka geeks .
    windows is for everyone else
    macs are for hippies.

he eh damn those hippies

most "Linux gurus" don't rise to that kind of bait.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Newbie
    I've seen my friend use that trick, on different boards or under different aliases, multiple times.

i have seen it happen here too. unless the thread gets deleted before ppl can try to prove them wrong. but it is also a bad idea cause it could start the whole board flaming cause there are alot of ppl that instead of trying to explain why they personally think linux is better and try to help you stay with linux. they will jst start flaming you which is jst not wanted on this forum
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Guru
    as big_k is pointing out, winding everyone up or being annoying is how people end up banned

IMO if your asking for help, why bother trying to wind people up? Everyone will get so fed up with you that if your not banned by a mod/admin people will just end up ignoring you anyway.

Jason

Just Joined!
    well said and
    windows rules linux sucks my debian box won't start
    ha

macs

Linux is to be used by professionals aka geeks .
    windows is for everyone else
    macs are for hippies.
    amen to that lol. Or you can make the subject "Linux is for Mac-gamers!". In my circle of friends being called a Mac-gamer is the ultimate insult...
    I've also seen this used: "Maybe I'll just go back to Windows...". And then all these linux-junkies just swarm to it like vultures to a carcass.

Well said BIG K i've seen it before and i'll see it again.......but i prefer to just ignore it ....though i got close to using that tactic myself in the beginning on another forum befor i discovered this board...it works once......then u become the boy that cried wolf...then try to get an answer
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast