Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings, As a bi-vocational minister, I took the time to write a book called "Penguin in the Pew". It simply helps religious and non-profit organizations recgonize that they have choices ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Penguin in the Pew

Greetings,

As a bi-vocational minister, I took the time to write a book called "Penguin in the Pew". It simply helps religious and non-profit organizations recgonize that they have choices when it comes to choosing a software platform. It's primary focus is Gnu/Linux, but discusses open source software in general. It offers background information, migration strategies, straightforward comparisons with other software, and even pointers on picking a consultant to help guide an organization through the decision-making process.

Penguin in the Pew has been downloaded several hundred times by church leaders, IT Pros, and developers alike. At least one pastor has already begun testing Linux as a result. He anticipates a gradual migration path. Even Mac users highly recommend it! The book success is absolutely stunning. I just thought I would mention it here, to give folks a chance to check it out. We are interested in any feedback folks might offer.

The goal is to point out to the Linux community the vital importance of the religiious market, and to the religious orgs the prominent role open source software could play in their ministries. You can download the book from:

http://matheteuo.org/

Just check out the Downloads sidebar.
    Regards,
    DC Parris

Linux Guru
    I notice you didnt include a link to www.linuxforums.org

Just Joined!
    Good eye. I'll have to add one. It's hard to keep track of all the links I add. Of course, I actually just came here for the first time last night.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by evangelinux
    Good eye. I'll have to add one. It's hard to keep track of all the links I add. Of course, I actually just came here for the first time last night.
    heh, no problem

The guide actually looks quite good, and is very informative for someone who hasnt really heard of linux before.

Just Joined!
    quite the new age church

Just Joined!
    I don't know I think the book title is one of the most interesting book titles I have read in a while all have to say is cool

Just Joined!
    Incidentally, there is available for those interested, a site focusing on using Linux and open source software in churches (specifically). Our Computing @ Church page addresses the same topic, but hardly does the subject justice.

The other site is http://freely.jedimoose.org/

As for my part, I'm following up with a paper on the role of IT in the church. It should be available within the next week or two.

I appreciate the encouragement I'm receiving on "Penguin in the Pew". In just under a month, it's been downloaded close to (around) a thousand times. The response I've gotten has been overwhelmingly positive. Incidentally, this site has led a number of people to the book.

Regards,
    DCP

Linux Engineer
    DCP did you know that Bibletime (Sword) is also available on linux?
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    I'll be adding BibleTime to my web site - thanks a million!

It has an On-Line Bible styled interface to it, which I like. The ability to obtain other translations is a major plus for me. Also, the lexicons are a great tool I use frequently in my studies.

BTW, I see you're in the UK. I don't know much about Bush & Blair, but I've got my own long-standing friendship with the UK (probably much better than the B & B team). I spent 18 months in Newquay, and me Mum lives in Stevenage. The English are some of the biggest proponents of Penguin in the Pew!

Hmmm....

Cheers!
    Don