Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Alright. Thanks for the responses. I bought Red Hat 9 because I wanted to try Linux out, and was on dialup I didnt use it for long. Im using Mandrake ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Alright. Thanks for the responses. I bought Red Hat 9 because I wanted to try Linux out, and was on dialup I didnt use it for long.

Im using Mandrake 10 right now. Its been the only one that automatically found my onboard NIC and connected me to the internet, so for now, its what I will stick with. However, I might check out Gentoo

Agree with you all if you are using a distro alot and you like it you should donate some !!

Linux Newbie
    Im downloading Gentoo right now. Only 1 cd? I hope its a solid distro

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Pay me i'll burn gentoo for u and mail it to u....that is if u realy want to pay 4 a distro
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    Pay me i'll burn gentoo for u and mail it to u....that is if u realy want to pay 4 a distro

Its all done. About to burn it to cd and install it

Linux Newbie
    Alright. So, ive downloaded an ISO image with a bunch of Linux programs for Gentoo. Seems useful. I then download a minimal installer thinking I could use that with the program cd, and get this installed. Nope. I get to a terminal type thing, and am lost.

Could somebody tell me what I need to download to get Gentoo installed? And what I need to do?

For installing gentoo printing this page is a requirement.

The gentoo install is the price you pay for the benefits that gentoo gives. It's not easy, but their manual is excellent.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Darl
    For installing gentoo printing this page is a requirement.

The gentoo install is the price you pay for the benefits that gentoo gives. It's not easy, but their manual is excellent.
    Thanks. I know I could have searched for that last night, but I was having such a crappy time, and I was so tired, I needed some sleep

Thanks for the info.

Linux Newbie
    Alright, another problem for me. Last night, after failing to install either SuSe or Gentoo, I went in and tried booting to Mandrake. I got the bootloader, selected Linux, and I got to the screen that has the progress bar at the bottom. It froze there. Any idea why?

How far did you get with gentoo?

At any rate, F2 should give you verbose, that should give you some more information on where and why it's freezing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast