Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
As for the Gentoo instructions, I tried printing those out....and for some reason, it left a lot of stuff out. Like the items that are in bullet format (best I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

As for the Gentoo instructions, I tried printing those out....and for some reason, it left a lot of stuff out. Like the items that are in bullet format (best I can do to describe it) and lots of useful info. Made all those pages (50+) useless

Linux Engineer
    If there's a file called install.html on yer cd just hit alt-f2 to open up a new window and type links /mnt/cdrom/install.html and you can switch between the 2 windows as you install.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Darl
    How far did you get with gentoo?

At any rate, F2 should give you verbose, that should give you some more information on where and why it's freezing.
    It didnt freeze with Gentoo. I just got to the terminal looking thing (the exact name escapes me now) and didnt know what to do.

I will try the alt+F2 and see if I can get this figured out.

So, do I need the minimum installer with the cd that has all the programs, or should I get the universal installer?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm not sure if I understand you quite right, but when booting into mandrake you should be able to hit F2 to get verbose. That will show you the last thing mandrake tries to do before it freezes.

I noticed with my Mandr10 they seem to do grub a bit differently... I haven't quite figured it out yet, but that might be the root of the problem (nopun).

If this is possible, try to get a command prompt, from there you should mount /dev/hda? (whichever drive mandrake is on), then take a look at the file menu.lst in /boot/grub/

All this assumes the way mandrake appears to be doing grub (I am still trying this out), unless you installed SuSE first.

With SuSE it should be the usual `grub.conf' in the /boot/grub/ folder (although I've never really taken a look at SuSE)

At any rate, give that a try and see if you can post what you find.

Linux Newbie
    I get to the screen where I should be able to hit F2 and get to verbose mode, but I cant. It freezes there. Just as it did for SuSe. I never did start installing SuSe, since I couldnt get any farther than that.

So, as it stands right now, the farthest I can get is hitting Linux in the bootloader, then seeing this screen, where I should be able to hit F2 for the verbose mode, but cant.

Can I get to a linux command prompt from the bootloader screen?

Just to be sure, it is grub you are using and not lilo?

If so, move over the mandrake selection and instead of running it, press `e' to edit.
    Make sure that is right: in grub hda1 = hd0,0 and hda3 = hd0,2, etc, etc

Maybe post that, if it seems alright....

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, its Grub that I am using.

I will get to that in a few. Have some stuff im working on in Windows. I will post the results when I get some time

Just Joined!
    i'd buy linspire, just to try it, see if it's as restrictive as people say it is

Linux Newbie
    i bought SUSE 9.1 Personal recently only because i didn't want to bother downloading it

Just Joined!
    you guys are too kind. if i was here sooner i could have saved this thread.
    it went from talking about distros to helping someone install gentoo. loly. i love our add

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast