Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Well, Ive tried Mandrake, Red Hat, Fedora......and am considering buying the personal version of SuSe. Do you think its worth it? Is there another that I should look at?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

If You Were To Shell Out Money For Linux, Which Distro?

Well, Ive tried Mandrake, Red Hat, Fedora......and am considering buying the personal version of SuSe. Do you think its worth it? Is there another that I should look at?

I personally would never buy a Linux distro. I would, however, donate to a distro or other OSS project through other means (products, straight donations, etc.). Just my thoughts.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    have you considered SCO ?

Linux Engineer
    I've bought both Mandrake and Suse in the past. Personally happy with these 2 so if I was to buy in the future it'd likely be one of these. But thinking about it I'd also be happy to buy Gentoo or Slackware just to support the projects.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

i would say suse is a good distro to buy but i havent used there newest version but im guessing its better then the last one that i was having troubles installing things on
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    i wouldn't pay for linux, due to that being a main reason i choose linux.

and most of the ones that you pay for are the heavy gui's that are the same thing as using windows. which i am against.

i use slackware.
    i use white texted, black background, terminal.
    i use linux.

the reason alot of ppl pay for linux is to support the distro they like best. like slackware, gentoo or debian and stuff they all sell there distros on there webpage for like 30 bucks which is damn cheap if you ask me. i personally havent bought a distro yet but i bet i will sooner or later
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    the reason alot of ppl pay for linux is to support the distro they like best. like slackware, gentoo or debian and stuff they all sell there distros on there webpage for like 30 bucks which is damn cheap if you ask me. i personally havent bought a distro yet but i bet i will sooner or later
    this is true.
    however, i support by spreading the word of god, and buying products and t-shirts from the store. furthering the popularity of linux.

that works too
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by K-ster
    the reason alot of ppl pay for linux is to support the distro they like best.
    Me too. Especially with gentoo, I used a lot of their bandwidth which, while cheap (I hope), stills costs them money -so I purchased the cd's as well as a t-shirt.

I had previously purchased a copy of SuSe, but that was regretful. I didn't like it much, and seemed to behave a lot like mandrake. The reason for my regret was because I dumped it after a couple days.

Otherwise, I now purchase those distros only as a show of support (which is why I d/l'd mandrake10).

edit: So, to respond to the topic, the only distro I would purchase now is gentoo.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast