Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been getting a little frustrated with people who do not know what source code is and then start asking questions about how to install something from source. Frequently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FAQ on source code

I have been getting a little frustrated with people who do not know what source code is and then start asking questions about how to install something from source. Frequently they do not even realize that they have source code and not a binary package. There are two threads in particular that have me particularly annoyed.

http://linuxforums.org/forum/viewtop...=103103#103103 Here somebody wants to install X from source. I have biult custom kernels, the full KDE distribution, emacs, gcc, but I have never succeeded in building X and a noob wants to do it.

and

http://linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20170 Here somebody wants to rename a .tar.gz file to rpm so that it will install.

Now to my question, is there a FAQ that I can point people to when I run into this. It would need to explain when a .tar.gz is source since sometimes it is not. The need for a C compiler. What situations make sense for installing fromsource. etc. If there isn't one I will see about starting one.

Many people on the forum do not seem to want to start slow and work their way up to the more challenging stuff. They just jump into the hardest things and get frustrated.

Linux Guru
    I noticed the amount of "howto install" type questions as well, I started writing an "ultimate install-howto tutorial" the other day that will explain all of the following:

• Howto compile software from source
    • Howto install RPM's, check what RPM's are installed etc
    • Howto use Apt-Get
    • howto use slackware packages
    • howto use gentoo emerge
    • howto install software in mandrake and suse
    • howto use yum in fedora

It also explains the difference between .rpms, .tar.gz etc etc

The idea being that no matter what distro you use, the tutorial will explain howto install software on your system, so im trying to cover as much as possible.

I havent done the gentoo, fedora, mandrake or suse parts yet (i need todo more research as i've never used those distros), but the rest is done (well, "beta").

I also want to add a troubleshooting common errors part as well, like gcc not found etc as those questions pop up a lot.

I'll post it in the tutorials section when its done, hopefully that should answer a lot of the newbie howto install software questions.

It proberly wont be ready for another 2 weeks or so as ive got some major projects on at work at the moment, so im having to work late, and by the time i get home im tired dont feel like writing.

Jason

Thanks jason......that will help alot...in not having to explain it every time

Thought i wish it was here when i started.....
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    i just use all of the howtos and faqs that came in the f installation package. they work a lot, so i can help out other noobies.

be fair.

Linux Guru
    How about a howto on urpmi and easyurpmi as well? (That's the Mandrake version of aptget).

I could toss something together in the next couple of days if you need some help.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    How about a howto on urpmi and easyurpmi as well? (That's the Mandrake version of aptget).

I could toss something together in the next couple of days if you need some help.

Jeremy
    Sure, go for it.

I will not write the mandrake part of my tutorial and i will put link to yours instead.

Jason

Just Joined!

Help on fedora.

I havent done the gentoo, fedora, mandrake or suse parts yet (i need todo more research as i've never used those distros), but the rest is done (well, "beta").
    Do you want to preview it for us. I know fedora reasonably well and can help out.