Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I just downloaded a copy of Sabayon x86 Mini CD. I'd like to tell you all that Sabayon mini rocks hardcore. It just works right out of the box, MP3's, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sabayon ROCKS!

I just downloaded a copy of Sabayon x86 Mini CD. I'd like to tell you all that Sabayon mini rocks hardcore. It just works right out of the box, MP3's, You Tube videos, and Streaming radio. The only thing I could not get working without tinkering is Quicktime videos from MSN ( I know it works).
    My wireless card, a Broadcom BCM4306 worked flawlessly with minimal configuration. All I had to do was launch KnetworkMananger, enter my WEP key and AWAY we go.
    This is just a preliminary review as I have only had it one night, my suggestion is, for all you folks having a hard time getting BCM cards to work, try Sabayon.
    Beryl+XGL work perfectly too with the ATI Radeon 9600
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 07-08-2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Typos
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    I must admit that's one I've never tried. I might give it a go when extra time and boredom strikes again.
    oz

I have never used Mini CD but Full DVD version Rocks.

it has almost all packages, GNOME, KDE, XFCE and FVWM pre-installed. ( it doesn't give any choice and need atleast 10GB disk space ).
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    I have never used Mini CD but Full DVD version Rocks.

it has almost all packages, GNOME, KDE, XFCE and FVWM pre-installed. ( it doesn't give any choice and need atleast 10GB disk space ).
    I don't have a DVD burner yet, or I would have gotten the full version instead. I just figured "what the heck", I can download everything else from the repos once I get the Mini working.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Thanks, that looks very interesting!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Looks very interesting. I've also never used the portage package management system so I'll look forwards to giving this a go.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

I saw it for the first time on Techiemoe's website but did not pay much attention to it until i saw it again, a few days ago on distrowatch. I tried it out on a VM and it seems interesting.

So after this thread I downloaded the DVD ISO last night and tried it this morning. From what I saw in the half an hour I played with it Sabayon is really something special. Everything just works out of the box on my laptop.

After booting up the live CD I was instantly able to connect to my WPA enabled wireless network via KnetworkManager. X actually started without me having to manually tweak the xorg.conf file (something I have to do in every distro except suse) and all apps worked flawlessly. I could listen to mp3s, watch divX videos, load flash websites, load Java websites etc. And xgl/beryl worked beautifully.

Can't wait to get home from work and try some more.

Again, thanks for the heads-up Mike
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

oz
    forum.guy
    When running Sabayon, do you have all those long source compile times like with Gentoo?
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    When running Sabayon, do you have all those long source compile times like with Gentoo?
    Yes, long compile times through Emerge.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast