Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] toggle between keyboard maps on-the-fly?

I would like to be able to toggle back and forth between keyboard maps on-the-fly while within a particular application. Specifically, I would like to toggle between Cyrillic and Latin characters within a single IRC session.

As it is, I must toggle the keyboard to the desired map, *then* open desired application, and cannot toggle between maps while within that application. This situation simply won't work in chat with English-speaking Russian friends in IRC as I'm learning Russian language and sometimes can make myself understood in Russian and sometimes can't.

I have gone K Menu>Control Center>Regional & Accessibility>Keyboard Layout and set both Russian and US-English keyboard maps. The keyboard-map toggle icon (represented by alternating US and Russian flag images) appears in the lower-right hand corner of the bottom panel.

When I go K Menu>Control Center>Regional & Accessibility>Country/Region & Language, I can effectively install only one language at a time. When I try to install an alternative language, only one alternative is available-- US English.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or not doing enough at K Menu>Control Center>Regional & Accessibility>Keyboard Layout?

Once again, I would like to be able to toggle back and forth between keyboard maps on-the-fly while within a particular application. I hope I'm making sense here.

I'm running KDE 3.5.

If more information is needed, please don't hesitate to ask.

i'm sure kde consists an applet for it too like as gnome.

I'm using gnome and i set it to the win key , so when i press the key the layout immediately changes and when the application regain the focus it use the new layout.

toggle between keyboard maps on-the-fly?

Spasibo, Iwanbeguru. Maybe I will have to switch to Gnome if I can't figure this out in KDE.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

solved: toggle between keyboard maps on-the-fly

-->
    Code:
    apt-get install kde-i18n-ru
    Note the "ru" suffix for the desired language, in this case, Russian. Next:

Code:
    apt-get install kkbswitch
    Then, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to add the desired alternate keyboard map (in this case, Russian):
    "XkbLayout" "us,ru"
    as an option under Section "InputDevice".

Optionally, edit the same section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf to add a keyboard switch in addition to the mouseover switch at the panel applet:
    "XkbOptions" "grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scrol l"
    Thanks to the community at channel #kde on freenode IRC, and the community at kde-forum.org for the solution.