Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Self compiled kernel + iptables/ipmasq problem

I'm using debian etch and compile new kernels from kernel.org from time to time. Problem is that every now and then, like the new 2.6.20, I lose the ability to share my internet connection. ipmasq and iptables suddenly stop working right and start saying there's a problem with iptables nat.

I use this combo because it's configured and installed and works to the extent of my needs with nothing more than apt-get install ipmasq iptables. I don't even have debconf questions.

If there's a less touchy alternative, or if someone could please tell me what is causing the kernel updates to have problems I'd appreciate it.

fwiw I believe this issue also happens on occasion with kernel upgrades from apt-get, but I've not upgraded my kernel that way in awhile so can't recall.

post the error message and chech your kernel configuration file

Quote Originally Posted by iwanabeguru
    post the error message and chech your kernel configuration file
    Yeah, sorry. Meant to post the message and forgot. Here it is:
    Code:
    iptables v1.3.6: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
    iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
    As for my kernel's config. Nothing in there that isn't in the old config. Except of course the things that don't exist for the older version. I started out by doing make oldconfig in fact. Then I used make menuconfig to explore the options. Mostly I leave everything default except to disable experimental drivers for a couple of NICs that I don't have and have never heard of, and to compile it specifically for k6/k6II/k6III.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    try insert the nat module
    modprobe iptable_nat

and check your /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter directories for the modules.

I experienced in some time when i compiled kernel , the modules not compiled and not installed.

before compile a kernel run make mrproper

another experience : i compiled a 2.6.16.14 kernel and the module for filter table was lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by iwanabeguru
    try insert the nat module
    modprobe iptable_nat

and check your /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter directories for the modules.

I experienced in some time when i compiled kernel , the modules not compiled and not installed.

before compile a kernel run make mrproper

another experience : i compiled a 2.6.16.14 kernel and the module for filter table was lacking.
    many thanks. I will try that later then. I'd tried using insmod, but since the error didn't suggest what the name of the module was, and I couldn't find the name by anything I could think of I figured it must have not been a kernel module issue.

Well. tested adding the iptables_nat module.

there's no such thing. Can't find it anywhere in the .config of the kernels that can do ipmasq+iptables and I can't find it anywhere in the one that can't. insmod iptables or insmode iptables_nat both give the error that there is no such module.