Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am trying to install Debian with Debian Installer, in a machine that is connected to internet with Motorola SB4200 modem, via USB. But the installer fails the DHCP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian installer with USB modem

Hello, I am trying to install Debian with Debian Installer, in a machine that is connected to internet with Motorola SB4200 modem, via USB. But the installer fails the DHCP detection, so I cant download any package.

Its not a problem with the ISP provider nor the modem or the USB; in the same machine Win98 is running connected to internet, and other machine (the one from where I write this lines) shares the same connection, but connected via ethernet card (the ethernet card on the other machine is toasted, so its not an option).

I will thank any input and help I get. Thank you very much in advance!
    Alvaro Medina G.
    Santiago, Chile

Linux Newbie

networking

Yeah, networking I find is a pain. A different distribution may be easier to connect with. Say mandrake or gentoo maybe.
    Ack!

yeah... but he probably wants debian, do you boot with a shell? if so try ifconfig. I'v never use a usb modem, does it emulate a ethernet connetion, or a netowork like connection? or does it just act as a normal usb device?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes indeed, I want Debian and nothing else. The strange is, when I installed Woody, I had USB modem working, but not ethernet card... think I'd install Woody first and then upgrade to Sarge.

Thanks for your help!