Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, my first post on here so go easy on me! I've developed a Linux app (freeware - hobby related) which I'd like to create a custom distribution around. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating a custom Debian Distribution

Hi guys, my first post on here so go easy on me!

I've developed a Linux app (freeware - hobby related) which I'd like to create a custom distribution around. Something similar to smoothwall - user puts in a CD, boots the machine and turns it into a dedicated box running my app.

I'm picking Debian as I've found the app runs very well on a Microsoft X-Box running the X-Box cut-down debian build. That would also suit my users (small cheap quiet box with a built-in NIC).

I'd be very grateful if someone could point me to some resources detailing how to do this.

I have no idea - I can use, run and program for linux, but have never built my own kernal or done any kind of distribution creation, so need something by way of a ground-up guide ideally.

Many thanks,

Dean

so you want to create a cd that boots a kernel and your program? (specificaly the debian xbox kernel)?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Hi qub, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I guess that's about the size of it. It could either boot (and run) straight from CD-ROM, or boot, install and then run.

If my app crashed the server admin could just restart the box.

Very much along the lines of smoothwall/IPCop etc

The app itself is configured over TCP/IP so it wouldn't need any kind of front end.

Dean

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Try looking at Morphix, Knoppix and damn small linux if you intend going the live CD route.

Have a look at Componentized Linux http://www.progeny.com/ - might be of some use.
    \"One World, One Web, One Program.\" -- Advertisement for Internet Explorer.
    \"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuehrer.\" -- Adolf Hitler.

uhhh... nomar i think you missed the point, reguardless, sorry i got noting, hopefuly this will bump a bit and someone else will know how.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    No problem.

Thanks for the effort guys - I'll google around for some other linux forums.

Must be someone somewhere that knows.....

Dean