Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi someone told me I couldn't send a fax via a dsl modem. Is that true?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Can I send faxes with a dsl modem?

Hi someone told me I couldn't send a fax via a dsl modem. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by rapattack View Post
    Hi someone told me I couldn't send a fax via a dsl modem. Is that true?
    I'm no expert on Fax or DSL, but I'm pretty sure Fax requires a dedicated phone line.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

You can usually send Fax over a dialup modem though I doubt you could use a DSL modem as they work on a different part of the spectrum than Fax and voice communications. Dialup modems use the voice range as does Fax so they almost always work, depending on supporting software for the protocols.

oz
    forum.guy
    Maybe you could hook up a dialup line to your computer fax modem for faxing, then continue running DSL through the same line with a filter, of course.

That's basically what I do, except that I have a regular fax machine and my DSL modem going to the same DSL line.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    MikeTbob-what is a dedicted phone line?

bigtomrodney-yeah that seems to be what people are saying on the net but I guess without me know the technologies really well I don't understand it much. I have only had dsl for 3 months and used to used dialup prior to that.
    One friend also was able to send faxes without an isp. Just had the modem connected into the phone line and the computer ofcourse....no problems but she had windoze so I have no idea with Linux. I have been using linux this whole year but was not able to configure it properly when I had dialup so I was learning a little about linux offline. Which was hard as I didn't install anything extra. I had lost interest until I was forced to get dsl.

ozar-well I don't have an internal modem now as Linux has been extremely painful to get on the net. I had it hooked up with Ubuntu for a few seconds a few times. I battled this for a long time. Maybe I will try with a pcmcia card fax modem again in the laptop that I have ubuntu. I did try last week but I don't know how to use the fax program. Can't even remember what fax program I have installed. I think I used Open Office and went into their wizard to send a fax but it didn't work. Ubuntu sees the pcmcia card so I don't understand the problem. With my main box that has Debian on it, it has always been impossible. Doesn't matter what external modem or internal I used none were recognised. I think I tried 6 of them and they all worked with stupid windoze.

Just had the modem connected into the phone line and the computer ofcourse.
    That's a dedicated phone line.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Ah ok never heard that term before. Thanks!