Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I was on the net and a popup happened on some techie page I was looking at. I dunno if it is connected but twice I have been on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

problem after seeing a popup

Hi I was on the net and a popup happened on some techie page I was looking at. I dunno if it is connected but twice I have been on the net and I couldn't close the browser. Not specific to the techie page I was visiting but it is the only different thing I have done so? I think I could do other things but I am not sure. I also couldn't shutdown without pressing the button on the front of the box. I did a kernel upgrade afterwards but the freeze happened again. Well the mouse didn't freeze I should say but I wasn't able to use the mouse. I might be able to more clear if it happens again but it is only happened twice today. As I still pretty new to linux I am wondering as this sort of thing is common in windoze.

First what webpage?
    Since we cant help you if we dont know what the problem is
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Linux Newbie
    I can't remember to be honest what page it was. the problem happened after I visited that page and so I am theorising that that is the cause but as I don't know Linux that well yet it is just a big guess. I haven't been on the net long enough today to see if it happens again. I just thought someone may have had a similar problem so there might be a solution? I dunno just crasping at straws really.

Well it might be that the popup was coded like this:

while (true)
    {
    $i++
    }

And that results in a Crash.
    I doubt its really a Linux error

Cheers,
    Robin
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Linux Newbie
    Um I don't know what that all means?

oz
    forum.guy
    You might be able to exclude Firefox as part of the problem by letting the hidden ~/.mozilla folder rebuild itself from scratch. If you want to do that, make sure Firefox is closed, set your file manager to show hidden files, navigate to the /home/username/.mozilla folder, and rename it .mozillaOLD, then start Firefox.

Doing that should rebuild the folder from scratch. If it helps the problem, you can recover your bookmarks.html file from the OLD folder and copy/move it to the same location in the new folder. If it doesn't work/help, you can simply delete the new folder and remove the OLD extension from the original folder to put it back to use.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Well I haven't got a popup since those two times but I did what you said to do anyway. Things seem to be fine. Only time will tell I guess. OK will also copy that bookmarks folder over soon. Thanks!!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Great... hope that did the trick!

Don't hesitate to post new threads with any new questions.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Thanks I will. The bookmarks copy worked!!!