Find the answer to your Linux question:
Having the need to modify the default PATH of the LINUX kernel as to include the directories of a new program (TeXlive) - I have stumbled across a difficulty. With ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Altering my PATH specification

Having the need to modify the default PATH of the LINUX kernel as to include the directories of a new program (TeXlive) - I have stumbled across a difficulty.

With Debian 4.0 (Etch) and Kernel 2.6.18-5-k7 (of Debian 2.6.18.dfsg.1-17), the /etc/profile file may be altered by:

PATH=$PATH:[new path]

...though this yeilds no result!

If the same command is given at the prompt (root), then the result is positive - which is good! However, the endevour of produing a file with the command inserted inside does nothing (similar to the profile problem).

I've also tried modifying:

/etc/profile
    /home/[..username..]/.bash_profile
    /home/[..username..]/.bashrc
    /home/[..username..]/.bash_aliases
    /root/.profile

The printenv command returns that there was no change.

Any suggestions?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    In your ~/.bash_profile, you can do
    Code:
    export PATH=$PATH:{NEW_PATH}
    If you want this to be global, you can edit /etc/profile, look for the place where the place where the path variable is set or exported and add your new path to the end. You will need to log out and back in again for the changes to take effect or you need to source your /etc/profile o ~/.bash_profile depending on which file you added the new path to.