Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, all! I am using KDE 3.1.3 on Debian Sid. I have also used KDE (unsure of the version, but it is in the 2's) In Debian Woody. As well ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with KDE apps crashing

Hi, all!

I am using KDE 3.1.3 on Debian Sid. I have also used KDE (unsure of the version, but it is in the 2's) In Debian Woody. As well as 3.1 on Slackware. There seems to be a common problem with many KDE components (or I don't have something set up right).

Any KDE component (like Kword, for example) other than Kwrite will crash whenI try to save. Even the simplest of things in Kword, like a document that only contains the word "hi". I can print from Kword, and write a whole book without a crash. But upon save, it is done. The error message says:

xxxx crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV)........The application was asked to save its documents
    Any one else have a problem like this (especially with Kword)? If so, and you fixed it, what did you do? Like I said, the only KDE app that will not crash on save is Kwrite. This crash will happen logged in as user, or as root.....with the same error message, only the program name changes.

I need gdb in order to generate a backtrace. But I wanted to know if there was an easy fix first, before I go submitting a bug report. (also, This crash happed in Sid, Woody, and Slackware, identical error message) I tried googling the answer, and there was a question identical to mine in another forum, but no one replied to it.

Thanks for reading

-Todd

Just Joined!
    I hate replying to my own post, but I feel I should.

I searched the KDE bug report section, and this bug has been reported over and over. Although it's closed, marked 'fixed'. KDE says it is not a KDE problem, but a qt one. Seems no patches avail yet for it.

FOOEY!

What should I do about this? It was fine when it was only the WP, but there is a KDE version of GIMP, and that crashes as well, and many others. IMHO, if I can't use these programs, and have to download others, I need to know how to remove these components. They are wasting space. Again, imo.

-Todd