Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, I'm a new Linux user (shock!). I just installed Debian onto an iBook PowerPC G3, and it all went perfectly, but when the logon screen and the desktop environment ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fresh install display problems

Okay, I'm a new Linux user (shock!). I just installed Debian onto an iBook PowerPC G3, and it all went perfectly, but when the logon screen and the desktop environment pops up, there's a bit of a snag. The screen only displays the left side of the desktop-for example, the menu at the top that goes "Applications Places Desktop" etc. cuts off at the o in Desktop, and the rest to the right is a black screen. Additionally, the screen only stretches down about two thirds of the moniter-I get the bottom taskbar at about that point, and then it starts off with the top of the screen ("Applications Places Desktop" etc.).

Now personally, I'd like being able to use more than 20% of my screen and desktop area, so how do I fix this?

Hi and Welcome !

You have to reconfigure Display settings. Open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    su -
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Reconfigure X Server and press Alt+Ctrl+Backspace Or restart machine.

In case it doesn't work, execute this
    Code:
    su -
    lspci | grep -i vga
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I've just installed "lenny" and have same issues (but with 2/3 of screen functional) as ST218 on an ibook G3, 192mb RAM, 500mhz. Have tried above answers but no luck. Also had same problems after installing "Etch" but with even less screen usable.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi and Welcome !

Post the output of commands posted in post #2.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First