ok here's my deal, i left my computer on all night and it is online via kppp. i have unstable debian 2.4.22 kernel. was installed from a knoppix cd to the hard drive...

have had problems with two modems that were identical and old, and have always worked with no problems...
both were serial.... only problem with them was they were sending more packets than recieving, has to be bad data being sent and more transmissions are a result of it. this is a m assuming. i bought a new serial modem then left it just online, i run no webserver or anything else of that nature just standard unix maintenance stuff, like cron, i think there is only some things running for logging, but i noticesd that just having it on for a few minutes (with ethereal running) there were packets captured...so i left it like that all knight...

nothing else was saved as i didn't think anything of it and just turned it off the next morning as i was in a hurry i didn't save the ethereal logs, but since then i have had modem problems,
from any user the error message is unable to open modem....i can open a shell and su to root then run kppp and it will get online fine, but even then with packet loss, but when i got my new modem there was no packet loss...
no bad data being sent out...
since i have tid a new modem, and with the above being said, plus i also have tried the same thing booting from a knoppix cdrom (runs off of a ramdisk) only user can connect is root, why would all users do this and what would that have to do with ethereal? note: the packets i seen look like all ACK packets for port 446 microsoft-ds whatever that is. but doesn't a bunch of worms propagate through that port? any suggestions? note: root can dialup but still looses packets, my guess is bad serial ports. but this still doesn't explain the unable to open modem on other users that sounds like software...