Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, So recently I downloaded Knoppix 3.4, burned it, tried it out, and loved it. So I decided that I would go ahead and install it on my hard drive. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual-booting with Knoppix and Windows XP Home

Hey,

So recently I downloaded Knoppix 3.4, burned it, tried it out, and loved it. So I decided that I would go ahead and install it on my hard drive. My problem is that I can't get a boot loader to work, or the NT loader, anyway. But I'll walk through what I've done and hope someone will see the blindingly obvious mistake that I seem to be overlooking. And incase anyone is wondering, all of these steps I got off of various sites. If it's important to see where I got the info, I can dig the sites up again.

# knoppix-installer

Okay, so now I've gone through and installed it all. (I've installed Knoppix itself to /dev/hdb2. LILO to the root partition, which I'm not sure if thats /dev/hdb2 or /dev/hdb1 so that could be my problem right there, but I've tried both in the next step)

# dd if=/mnt/hdb2 bs=512 count=1 of=/mnt/floppy/bootsect.lin

So now, on a floppy, I've got a boot sector to point boot.ini at in Windows. Basically at this point, I go back to Windows, place bootsect.lin in my C:\ directory, and add the following to boot.ini

C:\bootsect.lin="Knoppix"

So now I restart, select Knoppix in my boot loader, and what happens next is similar to

L 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

And the 01's continue about half way down the screen.

Sorry if this was long-winded, but if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Okay, so now I've gone through and installed it all. (I've installed Knoppix itself to /dev/hdb2. LILO to the root partition, which I'm not sure if thats /dev/hdb2 or /dev/hdb1 so that could be my problem right there, but I've tried both in the next step)
    If you have installed to /dev/hdb2, then that's your root partition, and that's where LILO is in your case. It would be much easier for you just to install LILO to the MBR, since LILO detects your Windows XP installation and puts in on the boot menu. Have you tried running liloconfig?

Just Joined!

Linux/XP Problem

Hi, your knoppix problem looks like just another instance of the linux 2.6/XP dual boot problem. There is a short and sweet solution here
    http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=14691 (see post #4)

Good luck...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close