Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Two things: I am trying to install Debian as a dual boot with windows xp - but this is another issue. 1) My issue here is that where can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian Live CD

Hi,

Two things:

I am trying to install Debian as a dual boot with windows xp - but this is another issue.

1) My issue here is that where can I find the latest Debian live CD so that I can run Debian without requiring it to be installed?

2) The reason I want to run Debian is that I have a 64 bit core but only windows xp 32 bit. I want to be able to access the full power of my core - would a live CD enable me to do this? Does a Live CD use linux drivers, or the xp ones for such things as CDROM, Graphics card etc .... ?

Regards,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tommyers View Post
    1) My issue here is that where can I find the latest Debian live CD so that I can run Debian without requiring it to be installed?
    I assume you want one of these
    Index of /cdimage/monthly-builds/20080421/amd64

2) The reason I want to run Debian is that I have a 64 bit core but only windows xp 32 bit. I want to be able to access the full power of my core - would a live CD enable me to do this? Does a Live CD use linux drivers, or the xp ones for such things as CDROM, Graphics card etc .... ?
    Reading this, I am doubt you will find what you are looking for there.
    First of all, a LiveCD, when booting, tries to run the hardware with the drivers on the CD. Given that the capacity of a CD is limited, there are only a limited amount of drivers which results in very generic one-for-all drivers.
    For example, the proprietary driver for your NVIDIA card is not included but the 2D driver 'nv' is taken.

A LiveCD therefore will never be tailored to your system. Even when it runs 64Bit, the performance impact due to missing tweaking will outweigh the theoretical gain (if there is any at all) many times.

Just Joined!
    Hi -

Thanks for the advice!

Do I need the .iso or the .img file for a live CD?

Regards,
    Tom

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Oh and can I use the live CD to install more detailed drivers for my NVIDIA graphics card, so that when I come to install Debian for real it will detect these drivers, instead of the problem I am having in my other post?

Regards,
    Tom

Linux Guru
    Hi -

Thanks for the advice!

Do I need the .iso or the .img file for a live CD?

Regards,
    Tom
    Download the iso.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I have downloaded the file:

debian-live-etch-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso

and burnt it to a CD. I have modified my boot on two computers running xp to boot from CD and both ignore the CD and boot into windows and not Debian!?

Why? - yes the file is actually on the CD!

Regards,
    Tom

Linux Guru
    Why? - yes the file is actually on the CD
    Probably because you burned a data cd instead of an iso cd.

Also make sure your bios is set to boot from cd.

Download and install this easy to use Burning Software that works like Nero but this one is free and is XP/Vistal Compatible. After you open it up click on the "Create bootable cd image" and go from there.
    |MG| BurnAware Free Edition 1.3
    Last edited by rokytnji; 07-08-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Forgot sumthin

Linux Guru
    If I were you I would also go to the Newbie section of forum and click on my link to a very good How Too site and paste the link in your Bookmarks after you get Debian installed. They have pictures (screen shots) on how to do everything from installing AVG to Adobe. Pretty much answer a lot of future questions that might come up.

Linux is not Windows.

Attachment 1154