Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got USB storage device Tragant DeLock usb2.0, pluged in usb1.0, but it doesn't matter. Kernel compiled with usb support. When i plug this device in, it starts blinking and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB storage device

I got USB storage device Tragant DeLock usb2.0, pluged in usb1.0, but it doesn't matter. Kernel compiled with usb support. When i plug this device in, it starts blinking and is connected at /dev/sg0. But! Everytime i tried to mount the dev point, it says something like Unable to mount filesystem or something. Do i need some packege? Or what should i do to access this storage device? I would really appreciate some advice! thanx

USB Device

Hi nemozny,

Try mounting /dev/sda to somewhere - I had a very similar problem to the one you are describing, and this was the solution for me.

Just Joined!
    when i added /dev/sg0 to fstab with "auto" type and then try mount /dev/sg0 it says that
    "/dev/sg0 is not block device"
    /dev/sda i cannot mount either, "its not valid block device"

Ok,

The only thing I have left to suggest is:

mkfs /dev/sg0

This will wipe everything off you USB device though.

Sorry I can't be more help,

Sauce

Just Joined!

Try this

If you have a look through the file /proc/bus/usb/devices, you should see a section with an S: line and the name of your reader and an I: line with Driver=usb-storage. If you see that, the kernel is recognizing the USB device.

Install the sg3-utils package if you haven't already (on Debian, apt-get install sg3-utils). To check your SCSI devices, run the command sg_scan -i . You should see something like this:

/dev/sg0: scsi0 channel=0 id=0 lun=0 [em] type=0
    eUSB Compact Flash 5.09 [wide=0 sync=0 cmdq=0 sftre=0 pq=0x0]

This indicates that the "raw" SCSI device associated with your reader is /dev/sg0. You can also confirm that the driver is working by looking at the file /proc/scsi/scsi .

Now, run the command sg_map to determine the real SCSI device associated with your reader. You'll see output like this:

/dev/sg0 /dev/sda

That's it. Your card reader is /dev/sda. The first (and almost certainly only) partition is /dev/sda1

Grz. Okki
    Thanks to Greg Baker, see the full story @ http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~ggbaker/personal/cf-linux

Just Joined!

And then this worked for me

I then tried mounting /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1, this worked!
    ( so the previous post is for all the people googling to here ;D )

Yeah, Jasons mod has definetly been a benifit, we have a great PHR on google and commonly ore like 2-3 on the list.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    thanx okki!! you're answer is correct. but i've made it worx already. i've moved my debian to other computer than the previous one, and it suddenly became working!!! i've done a few things but i don't think it was any solution - installed kudzu for automatic hardware detection and finally mounted not as /dev/sg0 but /dev/sda. but for the first time, kernel didn't react for plugging in the flash disk, but in the second computer kernel identified flash disk and i found /dev/sda in /var/log/messages. strange. Thank you okki!