Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to get my little network / shared drives on speed but permissions are driving me mad. Just to give you an idea of my problems: I can write ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

permissions in Debian are confusing

I'm trying to get my little network / shared drives on speed but permissions are driving me mad. Just to give you an idea of my problems:

I can write as root from debian to a mounted vfat drive on the same pc (dual boot system) this can not be done as a normal user. I can browse the drive but writing is out. What are the right permissions? (I guess this is a fstab part of the problem)

Futhermore the network is driving me mad. I can write as root on a windows pc on the network. Writing from the win pc to debian won't work. I guess the guest account (nobody) has no writing permissions in debian. How to solve this?

Regards

Linux User
    When it comes to FAT partitions, here are entries from my fstab that allows me to write to the disk as a normal user:
    /dev/hda1 /c vfat defaults,user,umask=000 0 2
    /dev/hda9 /d vfat defaults,user,umask=000 0 2
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"

Just Joined!
    brilliant! I'll try those this evening....any clue where to find more reading on those settings? How does umask work for example?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    You'll find all the options for it in the mount manual page,
    just type
    Code:
    man mount
    at the shell prompt, though it might be a little bit cryptic reading for the first time.
    I guess that Googling "umask linux fstab" will also give you much information.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"