Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi folks, Debian I'm prepared to clone a hard drive of 7G capacity (ATA-33) to a new drive of 40G (ATA-100) with 'dump and restore' commands as follows; (Remark: old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Cloning a hard drive with dump and restore command

Hi folks,

Debian

I'm prepared to clone a hard drive of 7G capacity (ATA-33) to a new drive of 40G (ATA-100) with 'dump and restore' commands as follows;
    (Remark: old and new drives of unequal capacity)

1)
    connect ATA-100 drive as Primary slave

2)
    # fdisk -l (to find the partitions on ATA-33 drive, e.g.)
    Code:
       Device Boot      System
    /dev/hda1   *       Linux
    /dev/hda2           Linux
    /dev/hda3           Linux swap
    /dev/hda4 /var      Linux
    etc.

3)
    Make partitions on ATA-100 drive same as ATA-33 drive but of different capacity
    # fdisk n /dev/hdb
    etc.

4)
    Then make following mount points (still on ATA-33)
    # mkdir /mnt/boot
    # mkdir /mnt/root
    # mkdir /mnt/var

5)
    # mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/boot
    # mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/root
    (/dev/hdb3 is swap)
    # mount /dev/hdb4 /mnt/var

6)Do follows;
    Code:
    # dump f - /boot | (cd /mnt/boot; restore rf -)
    # dump f - / | (cd /mnt/root; restore rf -)
    # dump f - /var | (cd /mnt/var; restore rf -)
    Is the command lines correct?

Can folks on the forum shed me some light because I'm inexperienced on 'dump and restore' commands in particular cloning drives with them. This is my first time. I searched Internet but could not find identical case.

Furthermore I still face a problem about the cable. Old drive ATA-33 uses 40-wire cable but the new drive ATA-100 80-wire cable. 40-wire cable can go into the sock of a ATA-100 drive but a 80-wire cable can't go into the socket of ATA-33 drive because of a blind hole on its plug. I shall use a 40-wire cable connecting the new drive ATA-100 as slave. If it can't be detected by BIOS then I will connect the ATA-100 drive to Secondary IDE, removing the burner and CDrom temporily. Because 80-wire cable also can't go into the socket of burner and CDrom respectively.

Kindly advise. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Just Joined!
    You may not want another solution to imaging a drive but, If it were me, I would save myself the headache and drop $20USD for Norton Ghost 200x. I've been using Ghost for backing up Linux partitions for a while now and have yet to run into problems. I use Ghost to create a bootable floppy/cd which will boot your machine into PC-DOS and Norton Ghost. From there you can image partitions or drives. The only catch is you'll need a winblows machine to install Ghost and create the floppy/cd. Once you have that, you can uninstall Ghost and make backups of your bootable floppy or bootable cd and you're golden.

The only catch is, if you are using Reiserfs it will be difficult. Ghost sees a Reiserfs partition as if it were full of data wether it is or not. If the partition is 70GB then Ghost will think it has a full 70GB of data on it, even if you have less than 40GB in reality. There are other image-backup apps out there that handle Reiserfs correctly but I've always used Ghost because that is what has been available to me. Ext(x) works fine. I haven't tried other filesystem types. Ext2,Ext3,vfat work like a charm. Ghost 2004 may handle Reiserfs, I'm not sure. I'm using 2003 I believe.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers,
    bd

Just Joined!

Using Ghost

Ok, I will admit I am new to Linux. Am using FCII. I understand about the floppy; would you mind expounding a little more. I want to back up my data to a USB Zip Iomega 100 drive.

I suppose I boot up using the floppy disk I created on a windows machine, right.

Is there a gui interface that directs you on creating a backup to my desired medium?

Anna

You could try partgui.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Ghost 2003

I have Ghost 2003 and I cannot clone a linux Redhat 7.3 machine?
    I get:

Abort: 15175 Invalid cluster

Run Scandisk everytime I try an image or partition copy...?

I called Symantec and they said I cannot create linux images!
    Suggested I use Ghost 9.0 and that would work?

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

SP

Linux Guru

Re: Ghost 2003

Hi pichels,

I have Ghost 2003 and I cannot clone a linux Redhat 7.3 machine?
    Whether you meant to clone a hard drive. If 'YES' it is very simple. I did it several years ago as follow;

Attach a new drive as slave to the Linux RH7.3 machine. Get a "parted" boot-diskette from
    http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html
    http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/bootdisk/
    (It is complete FREE)

Start the machine with the boot-diskette and follow its instruction. You will be on your way. It takes about 15 minutes to clone a 40G HD.

If NOT the same case, please forget this posting.

B.R.
    satimis

Or you could just use 'dd'.

Just Joined!

clone linux RH 7.3 hard drive w/ Ghost 2003 and copy image to network drive?

Hi,

Is it possible to clone to a network drive using the boot disk created with Ghost?

I.E. PC-DOS boot than run ghost.exe and copy to a networked drive?
    I couldn't get that process to work, perhaps my placement of the folder in a folder near ghost.exe or not enough space for spanning?

Sorry If I am asking too much...I just want to clone to a network drive not another drive!

I used DD and it worked swell with SSH as I piped the output to a remote server!
    But, I was told that "DD" does not include "."(dot) files?
    Is this true? Wouldn't make sense if it is a bit-by-bit copy!?!...right?
    Please advise, if possible, thanks for all of your help and quick responses guys!

SP

It should include everything, as DD is filesystem independent iirc, and dot files are a product of the Filesystem.

Linux Guru

Re: clone linux RH 7.3 hard drive w/ Ghost 2003 and copy image to network drive?

Hi pichels,

Is it possible to clone to a network drive using the boot disk created with Ghost?
    Whether you meant to clone the hard drive of workstation-A to the hard drive of workstation-B in the local network?

I heard about Bacula and Amenda, the network backup tool. I never use them.

B.R.
    satimis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast