Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since I installed Knoppix 3.6, I can't figure out how to boot to a text login, and thereby login as a user other than knoppix . I've managed to change ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

text boot screen

Since I installed Knoppix 3.6, I can't figure out how to boot to a text login, and thereby login as a user other than knoppix.

I've managed to change the root password (quite by accident to honest), and add users (command line useradd), but I can't login as any of these other users.

I don't want to eternally (or as long as I keep this distro loaded) be Mr. Knoppix or root?

Any help????????

Thanks

Trey

Correct me if I'm wrong: sounds like you did a knoppix HD install?

Just Joined!

Yes, Knoppix

Yes, I did a HD install from a Knoppix 3.6 live-CD.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    So you're in X and need a command line? This is obviously a flaw in knoppix since it should boot to an X login screen.

Either boot with the parameter "single" specified, if you can, or press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to a "virtual terminal" (Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to X). You should also be able to install a package like kdm or gdm to let you login from X instead, which is probably what you want.
    Knoppix is based on Debian, so you should be able to just run:

apt-get install kdm

and then reboot. If X still starts as user knoppix with no login screen, you'll have to change the init scripts in /etc/init.d to make kdm run instead of startx.

I think a way round this would just be to edit the /etc/passwd file and just change the user name. This is not the correct method though.