Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a linux noob, trying to install development tools on an EEE pc with it's Xandros distribution (Xandros is part of Debian, right?). I'm following these instructions ( Installing Development ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Development Tools, installation failure

I'm a linux noob, trying to install development tools on an EEE pc with it's Xandros distribution (Xandros is part of Debian, right?). I'm following these instructions (Installing Development Tools [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]).

All seemed to be going well until I got the error:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg-dev_1.13.25_all.deb (--unpack):

unable to create './usr/share/man/ru/man1/882-date.1.gz': No space left on device

I'm assuming this means I don't have anough free space on my eee PC, however my disk utility says I have 605m free space. How large are the tools?

So now the install has apparently stopped (just a black blox cursor preceeded by no text). Did it unistall itself since it failed? Am I left with half an app? If I clear some space and try again will it help? Will it overwrite the half install (if there is one)?

EDIT: When I type "df" I'm told that none of my partitions are full. The majority say 61%.

EDIT AGAIN: I am trying to save a small text file and it says I have no space left to do so. However the disk utility still says I have 605 m.....

EDIT THRID TIME: In Diagnostic Tools, under the storage icon it says:

Filesystem Size Used
    /dev/sda1 2.3G 100%
    /dev/sda2 1.4g 61%

Help and thanks

Hi and Welcome !

Check the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives folder.
    Execute this to clear cache
    Code:
    df -h
    sudo apt-get clean all
    df -h
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

can you post the output of
    Code:
    df -h
    , the partition reserves by default about 5% of the blocks for root, but 605m is definitely more than that

Just Joined!
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 1.4G 796M 554M 59% /
    /dev/sda1 1.4G 796M 554M 59% /
    unionfs 1.4G 796M 554M 59% /
    tmpfs 249M 12K 249M 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 128M 24K 128M 1% /tmp

EDIT: sorry, Hello and Thanks!

Do I need to be in a specific directory to execute that? (ie in ..../archives)?

Just open Terminal/Konsole and execute that command.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks.

It reduced the percentages by 5%.

Still no change in the console where I was installing.

Should I maybe close the console and start again? If so, how do I clear what I've already done? How would I ensure I have enough space?

EDIT- I notice you're in India as well. I'm in Mumbai. How much for you to just come and fix this for me?

EDIT AGAIN. Okay, my wife resolved the issue (she's the techie here). Here is the email she sent me:

Figured out the problem. There's sufficient space left on the hard
    drive, but the inodes are at full capacity.

Better explanation here: howto:no_space_left_on_device [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]

Easy script to use to resolve the problem:
    EeeUser ASUS Eee PC Forum / OS claiming "no space left on device" when df -h shows over 600M free?

Thanks to all.