Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there strangers. it's been a while, but new name, same old wrinkled face. Anyway, I installed etch again and the same old thing is getting under my skin of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question flash in debian etch..again..

Hello there strangers. it's been a while, but new name, same old wrinkled face.

Anyway, I installed etch again and the same old thing is getting under my skin of not being able to install flash.

I read an older post from last year, http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...bian-etch.html and nothing even there seems to help me.
    I tried the apt thing, apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree but only get this nice note: Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Package flashplugin-nonfree is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package flashplugin-nonfree has no installation candidate
    So where does that leave me? I have no idea nor clue where to get the new package, how to install it or where to install it.
    Another suggestion in the older post was to:"You probably need to enable the contrib repo in your /etc/apt-sources.list.".. again, I draw a blank. and including it within synaptic as well draws a blank in my old head.
    I know I sound like a lazy whiner and to some degree i probably am, but so much of this is becoming a complete different language to me anymore. I have a zillion other issues constantly intruding in my free space or what's left of it in my head so.....

Is there anyone out there who might be willing to walk me through some of this? This used to be so easy to me, but the older i get the tougher it becomes. Maybe I'm going senile, but whatever the case I just don't seem to be able to follow this stuff anymore.
    I opened the source.list from /etc/apt.. and there is a nice, neatly typed list of stuff, but I wouldn't know where to begin to enable anything in there.

So, in layman terms what would be my next step? Any help will be more than greatly appreciated. I'm not that old, but it's starting to feel like it when i try to do some of these things anymore..
    Thanks in advanced and I'll be patiently waiting.

Just Joined!
    Look around this forum for contrib and multimedia repos lists. Using a terminal (Applications > Terminal: sign in as root. su will prompt you for your Root pswd) Key in gedit /etc/apt/sources.list. That will get you in that file. Add the contrib and multimeda sources you've found. Save and close. Back at the terminal: apt-get update. apt-get upgrade. From that point your can look for your flash. apt-cache search what ever. Or... you can use Synaptic.

Here's a copy of my sources list. Don't use it. Its for Lenny. Your new additions will be - should be Etch. That's what you installed. Go to the end of the file, last word, hit enter and paste your new sources starting there.

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux LennyBeta2 _Lenny_ - Official Beta i386 NETINST Binary-1 20080608-11:24]/ lenny main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux LennyBeta2 _Lenny_ - Official Beta i386 NETINST Binary-1 20080608-11:24]/ lenny main

deb ftp.osuosl.org :: Oregon State University Open Source Lab lenny main
    deb-src ftp.osuosl.org :: Oregon State University Open Source Lab lenny main

deb Debian -- Security Information lenny/updates main
    deb-src Debian -- Security Information lenny/updates main

#lenny main contrib non-free

deb ftp.osuosl.org :: Oregon State University Open Source Lab lenny main contrib non-free

deb-src ftp.osuosl.org :: Oregon State University Open Source Lab lenny main contrib non-free

# debian multimedia

deb Debian Multimedia Packages::Home lenny main

deb-src Debian Multimedia Packages::Home lenny main

###------------------------------

# If you get errors about missing keys, lookup the key in this file

# and run these commands (replace KEY with the key number):

# gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv KEY

# gpg --export --armor KEY | apt-key add -

### Or/and

#apt-get install debian-multimedia-keyring

P.S. One other thing. Only add repos from YOUR branch. Etch.

Just Joined!

Arrow

Thanks Loopback, but I'm just a tad bit lost on how to convert lenny to etch. Do i simply replace the word lenny with etch or is there more? I know this is a lame question, but I don't need some bizzaro new source that doesn't work.

I already added some new sources and flash does show up in them and i did install via synaptic, but they still won't work. I have no idea why, but... what can i say? I would really like to get rid of Iceweasel, but Oh well..I like Debian a lot, but the renamed things such as iceweasel I can live without.
    Is it Etch or just etch? Does case matter in it?

Thanks ever so much.. M

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mram49 View Post
    Thanks Loopback, but I'm just a tad bit lost on how to convert lenny to etch. Do i simply replace the word lenny with etch or is there more? I know this is a lame question, but I don't need some bizzaro new source that doesn't work.

I already added some new sources and flash does show up in them and i did install via synaptic, but they still won't work. I have no idea why, but... what can i say? I would really like to get rid of Iceweasel, but Oh well..I like Debian a lot, but the renamed things such as iceweasel I can live without.
    Is it Etch or just etch? Does case matter in it?

Thanks ever so much.. M
    Well, it you want to upgrade to Lenny just copy and paste my list. It's jumping off the deep end but I don't see that you'd have any problems.

To start off: copy my list. Then with the gedit editor erase your old source list and paste my list. (open a terminal, log in as su. then type: gedit /etc/apt/sources.list. Delete your old list and paste new Lenny list) Save and exit.

Back at the terminal - still as su (root) apt-get update. Then apt-get dist-upgrade. When it's over reboot. You should see on the verbose screen 'Lenny/Sid' flash by. That will tell you you've successfully upgraded to Lenny.

My list has all one would need for Lenny. Good luck.

Iceweasel is Firefox. Long story. Too long to explain. Don't sweat that. Up grade to Lenny. Then we'll shoot trouble on Flash.

P.S. I just saw you wrote "...convert lenny to etch" I'm sure you meant etch to lenny.

P.P.S. See link at end of my post. Good Debian forum.

I'm personally running lenny now, but i wrote this howto regarding firefox 2 and several nice plugins a couple of years ago. it's old and i don't how much is still accurate but here is the link. http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...bian-etch.html