Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everybody, I should probably preface this by saying I'm very new to Linux , if that doesn't become obvious over the course of this post. Anyway, I recently had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Powerbook G4 Etch Install Issue

Hi Everybody,

I should probably preface this by saying I'm very new to Linux , if that doesn't become obvious over the course of this post. Anyway, I recently had to replace the hard drive on my 12" 1.5 ghz Powerbook G4, and I felt that this was a perfect opportunity to begin experimenting with Linux.

I setup the system to run a dual boot with Mac OS X and Debian Etch. Unfortunately however, the Etch is not working. During the Etch boot, it goes through all its checks and passes all of them, except for one that says 802.11 core failed (-2). At this point it goes to a login, and then shortly after this the screen goes black and when it come back up a blue screen appears that says "Failed to Start X server, and it prompts me whether or not I want to see the output to diagnose the problem.

After going through these prompt screens, I go back to the command prompt, and I see an error that says something like:

##bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not availible or load failed.
    ##bcm43xx: core_up_for_active 802.11 core failed (-2)

Anyway, if someone could kind of give me some direction on how to fix this, and explain what's going on for my own knowledge, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hello mobezo,

I would concentrate on getting the graphical interface to work, because that's I guess that is something you are used to coming form a Mac. The X server makes the graphical interface possible (windows, mouse, etc.). So please read the diagnostic output it gives. The short version should do. What is the fatal error?

By the way, have you googled for Linux on a Powerbook? Might be useful.

Good luck!
    OS's I use: Debian testing, Debian stable, Ubuntu, OpenSuse 12.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Just Joined!
    Not to sound like a bust but I have a mac tower running os x and I can run the command line the same as i do in linux. Only diff is its a unix based system some cammands are similar or the same but not all. Anyway all of the development tools are there and I've heard of people just running OS X's Kernel and X with KDE or Gnome... If you have OS X there is no real need for linux I dont think. Thats just my personal opinion...

To really dive in to the power you can unleash with your mac running OS X check out an Oriely book called Unix for mac (the unothorised manual) or something like that.