Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed debian etch, since my copy of winxp decided to fail me once again. But now I feel that I want to run windows anyway (mostly because that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uninstalling debian

I recently installed debian etch, since my copy of winxp decided to fail me once again. But now I feel that I want to run windows anyway (mostly because that I'm used to it and even if it decides to malfunction from time to time, I actually prefer it for my desktoppc). I read som threads here about uninstalling debian and some said that I could erase debian after installing windows, but I can't.
    I can't format the partitions where debian is installed through the windows installation and now I can't even start debian. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

Using

Your windows installation disk you should be able to delete the linux partition. You will need to do so before formatting over it. Just boot into setup from disk and in the partition manager follow the prompts to delete the existing linux partition, then format using FAT or NTFS (up to you). Once it's done formatting you can simply nix the set up operation and boot back into windows.

If, for whatever reason, you don't have this functionality from the disk you still have a few options:

1. Obtain an fdisk floppy and use it to delete the linux partition.
    2. Find a boot disk (i recommend diamond boot) and use it to delete and then reformat the linux partition.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for the help. I deleted the data on the partition where I had debian. Then I tried to format, which didn't work. So I rebooted, formatted the partition and now the install started.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close