Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Merry Christmas everyone. I am trying to install flash-plugin-10.0.15.3-release.i386.rpm on the Debian-40r6-i386 that I have just installed on one of my partitions. When I cd to the directory where the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Problem with rpm command on Debian

Merry Christmas everyone.

I am trying to install flash-plugin-10.0.15.3-release.i386.rpm on the Debian-40r6-i386 that I have just installed on one of my partitions. When I cd to the directory where the file was downloaded and issue the command
    #rpm -i -v flash-plugin-10.0.15.3-release.i386.rpm I get bash: rpm: command not found. What is the reason for this? Just in case it is useful, I downloaded and burned six ISO CDs (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and the kde CD), but the system did not request for CDs 2, 3, 4, 5 and the kde CD during the installation. Could this be part of the problem? How can I install these CDs?

Thanks,

biniman

Just Joined!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by biniman View Post
    What is the reason for this?
    You need to install rpm before you can install rpm files.

Quote Originally Posted by biniman View Post
    How can I install these CDs?
    Section 2.4 of the Apt how-to will show you how from command line. You can also add CDs through the GUI package manager Synaptic, cruise the Synaptic menus and you shall find.

You need to install rpm before you can install rpm files.
    Do not install rpm in Debian (I don't mean flash-plugin, I mean rpm package management). Debian's package management system (which makes sure everything is installed properly and with no conflicts.) is dpkg and it also includes apt-get, Synaptic and aptitude that use dpkg. RPM will bypass dpkg, so you may cause serious damage to your system.
    If you need to install an rpm package, you must do it using the tool "alien". It converts RPM packages to .deb and installs them properly through dpkg.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alien
    To use alien:
    Code:
    sudo alien flash-plugin-10.0.15.3-release.i386.rpm
    Then you can install it like this (watch the .deb at the end):
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i flash-plugin-10.0.15.3-release.i386.deb
    Or
    Code:
    sudo alien -i flash-plugin-10.0.15.3-release.i386.rpm
    That will convert flash-plugin and install it.

A good reference guide for dpkg and apt-get is here.

Do not install rpm in Debian
    RPM is in Debian repositories in the form of a .deb package, which means if you want to install it...you can. And normally you install software you intend on using, not for the sake of having it.
    It is not up to the general public to decide what you should or should not install from your distribution's repositories.
    Your suggestion to use Alien is a great suggestion, but telling people what "not to do" is not your decision.
    If someone chooses to install an .rpm package and comes here looking for help to install that .rpm, tell them what they need to know to install that .rpm, not what you decide they are supposed to do, and throw in suggestions if you like.

RPM is in Debian repositories in the form of a .deb package, which means if you want to install it...you can. And normally you install software you intend on using, not for the sake of having it.
    It is not up to the general public to decide what you should or should not install from your distribution's repositories.
    Your suggestion to use Alien is a great suggestion, but telling people what "not to do" is not your decision.
    If someone chooses to install an .rpm package and comes here looking for help to install that .rpm, tell them what they need to know to install that .rpm, not what you decide they are supposed to do, and throw in suggestions if you like.
    Yes, you can use PRM. But is there ONE good reason to use RPM directly and not alien?
    From DEBIAN & Ubutnu package description:
    Red Hat package manager
    If you want to install Red Hat Packages then please use the alien
    package. Using rpm directly will bypass the Debian packaging system!
    Neither of us know more than Debian developers, right? I think (someone more advanced should comment on this), that RPM exists in Debian repositories, because it is a dependency for alien and somehow needed for the conversion process.

We are not here to tell users what (not) to do, but we should warn them if something may break their system. I posted what Debian developers recommend.

PS: I hope it does not turn into "yet another mini flame"

IMO, he said don't use rpm, and then provided the best available alternative to what you want. That's good help if you ask me.

as far as using rpm in debian, I wouldn't do it personally. I think it goes for any distribution, not just debian, that you should only use the distro's package manager. if redhat and debian were that similar then there wouldn't be a million threads in here asking which distro to use. they are different and the package managers know the differences, rpm knows about redhat and dpkg knows about debian.

I would never attempt to use dpkg on redhat or rpm on debian.

But, I have had very good success converting rpm's to deb using alien. The rpm package is a dependent of alien and used in the conversion process. I don't think rpm being available in the repositores is an indication that you should use rpm in debian.

and here is what I would consider a very good way to install flash
    How to Install Adobe Flash in Debian Etch/Lenny/Sid -- Debian Admin

adobe concurs, the below is taken from their site
    Code:
    2. What if I use Debian?
       Install flashplugin-nonfree from Debian contrib unstable.
       If this fails, you must seek help from the Debian community.

RPM is a great package manager, there is nothing that says you can't have both. It don't matter if dpkg can't work with the .rpms you install because you also have RPM which can.
    Some people prefer to just use a package manager instead of third party software, That is their choice, not the general public, and that is why it is available for you to install if you want it.
    As previously mentioned, I prefer to just answer the question, opinions create flame wars, suggestions are great. But not everybody thinks the same way, which is why the Debian folks have such a large repository, to satisfy as many as possible.

and here is what I would consider a very good way to install flash
    How to Install Adobe Flash in Debian Etch/Lenny/Sid -- Debian Admin

adobe concurs, the below is taken from their site
    I agree, it is much better than alien and rpm. Whenever possible we should use the repositories.

As previously mentioned, I prefer to just answer the question, opinions create flame wars, suggestions are great
    EDIT:So, a correction to my previous response ("Do not install RPM"): Debian developers strongly suggest not to use RPM directly.
    Last edited by L4Linux; 12-30-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast