Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I was trying to install the debian version in the heading when I came across my first snag. It doesn't recognise my DVD drive, which seems like a fairly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation problems with Debian4.0r5 i386

Hello,

I was trying to install the debian version in the heading when I came across my first snag. It doesn't recognise my DVD drive, which seems like a fairly mainstream drive to me. It's an ASUS DRW-1608P3S, IDE connection.

The message says that there is no CD-ROM drive detected, and something about how it is probably some unusual brand with an unusual conneection type. It then gives me the chance to load the drivers with a floppy,last time I tried to use it either the floppy drive was broken, or the disks were stuffed, it didn't work, it's from an old 486. The other option was to select a module to use from a list, I tried every option from the list and each time it said that the process had failed.

I'm not sure what the next thing to try would be?

[EDIT]
    The DVD drive is set to slave. There is an old 15gb IDE drive on the line, set to master.

[EDIT 2]
    - There is no "/dev/cdroms/cdrom0" directory
    - When trying to mount I get the error "mount: Mounting /dev/hdc/ on /cdrom failed: no such file or directory. I tried with hda, hdb...hdg
    - The folder /proc/ide/ only had "drivers" in it when I used "ls" on it

Just Joined!
    hmm, just had a thought. Would Lenny be more likely to be compatible with my DVD drive?

If so would I be better off installing lenny, seeing as it's set to become the stable distro quite soon?

[EDIT]
    Decided to go with lenny

Just Joined!
    How do you find Lenny? I'm thinking of switching, because (k)Ubuntu is all screwed...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandart View Post
    How do you find Lenny? I'm thinking of switching, because (k)Ubuntu is all screwed...
    Debian -- Debian-Installer

I'd suggest the net install... If you already have etch installed change your sources to Lenny and use "apt-get install dist-upgrade" or something like that, from the command line.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandart View Post
    I would tell you, but I'm getting the same problem in lenny. So my DVD drive isn't detected in Etch, lenny or lenny netinstall (I read about some people having more luck with installations from the netinstall CD).

It's quite frustrating.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Faded_Mantis View Post
    It's quite frustrating.
    LOL its Linux its meant to make you think

I've always run an apple and used the BSD part... I had a Redhat Box in my teen years but since then only Macs with OS X... I got an old IBM and I decided Windows was not for me so I started with Slackware it was OK but pulled too many resources plus my wifi needed ndiswrapper and I didnt like that much so I tried FreeBSD and I couldnt get my Celtx to run after trying for a week so in went Debian... It took a little more to get everything running correctly but it was well worth it... Still working on my USB part...

Just Joined!
    lol Yea it is.

It's just in my previous linux experiences (Mandrake, Xandros, Ubuntu), any real thinking came after the install...well except for Mandrake, I had to get a LOT of help for that from my dad, especially during the install lol.

I guess I should word it as "In my previous modern linux experiences"

If I get it sorted out I'll post the solution here, including if it was someone elses solution :P

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Faded_Mantis View Post
    lol Yea it is.

It's just in my previous linux experiences (Mandrake, Xandros, Ubuntu), any real thinking came after the install...well except for Mandrake, I had to get a LOT of help for that from my dad, especially during the install lol.

I guess I should word it as "In my previous modern linux experiences"

If I get it sorted out I'll post the solution here, including if it was someone elses solution :P
    After reading this ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/213639 ) it seems its a Kernel issue that can be fixed once the distro is installed. Since you cant install it LOL I would suggest you find Debian 3.0 Woddy it should have an older kernel and should work once you get that installed run the upgrade and then follow the instructions on the above link to get your DVD drive working again...

Seems like alot of extra stuff but it just might work. The guys on that link say it worked until they upgraded their distro...