Find the answer to your Linux question:
As I'm using Debian, I found some glitch. So I wonder even using Linux requres a firewall and antiviruse. So what's the next step to make the system secure?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Security

As I'm using Debian, I found some glitch. So I wonder even using Linux requres a firewall and antiviruse. So what's the next step to make the system secure?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPjcpp View Post
    So I wonder even using Linux requres a firewall and antiviruse.
    Not necessarily.

You can check this short security guide for more information to help you decide what you might need:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-security.html
    oz

Thanks, your help greatly appreciated. I'll first read it. Only after it's secure can I migrate to Linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Although there are security (antivirue, etc) programs available to you, I don't beleive you'll need them. I've never use an antivirus app in all the years I've been using Linux.

About the only thing I'd recommend is a router (hardware firewall). That should be sufficent for the moment. Of course, don't go passing all the trash you get from your MS using friends. That's a sure way of passing virii to them.

Other than that, your safe. As safe as anyone can be.

Thanks for the input. Before, the system had some glitch, that's when I logged in GNOME as root. I guess it could be the reason? Now I know better and login as user, (but of course log in as root in terminal at the same time) So far so good. I'm testing in VMware, if all goes well for months, I'll consider switch to Linux as my OS.

Just Joined!
    If you really want to use Debian, (Good boy!), please visit the link I provide on my post. Very good site. Lots of good tips and howtos.

I'm not one to put down any distro, but, damn it to hell!, Debian is the one I'd push. Very good distro. Very good!!! Of course you know I'm a Debian fanboy.

lol. May I ask why?

Thanks for the link, it seems great, I have it bookmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPjcpp View Post
    lol. May I ask why?
    I think in this section of the forum you are gonna get a lot of debian fanboys, me included.

debian pros:
    large software repository
    excellent package manager (apt)
    choices in stability and bleeding edge (stable vs unstable vs testing)
    good community support
    not commercialized (could also be a bad thing)
    the base for lots of other distros (there would be no ubuntu without debian)

thats a good start

not commercialized (could also be a bad thing)
    It would be wise for free software supporters to use Debian as their base OS, and other distros or Windows or McOS as its guest OSes. I will.

Just Joined!
    There are many reasons why I'm a Debian user and an advacate of the Debian based OSs. But the main reason is the package manager. It's so damn east to install, remove, update, etc that I'd be a fool to use a distro that was not Debian based.

No sir, Debian and its derivatives is the only way for me. The hell with rpms, or tarballs or anything else. Viva Apt-Get!!! (Or Synaptic or Aptitude) It's all Debain or nothing.