Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing glibc 2.4

Hi, I'm looking for help regarding installing glibc 2.4 - some info about my system is below. I'm new to linux, and I'm trying to get gcc 4.1.1 to work(my distro didn't come with a compiler, AFAICT).

I downloaded a binary for gcc, but it says I need glibc 2.4. I got 2.4, but now I don't know how to install it so that the system knows it's available. I unzipped it into a subdirectory in /lib, but that didn't do anything. It came with a makefile, but running it tells me that I need to configure it first. Running configure, I get "You must configure in a separate build directory." What does this mean? What's special about a build directory and how do I create one?

I'll probably have followup questions, so thanks in advance.

(ASUS Eee PC running the full desktop in Xandros, which I believe is related to Debian)

apt-get command should work under Xandros... (Thats what Google says at least) I don't have direct knowledge of it but try under root or sudo or su

apt-get install glibc-2.4

I'm sorry; I should have stated before that I don't have internet access on that computer right now - that's the cause of all this trouble(long story).

So, I need to do whatever apt-get install does - but by hand. How can I learn what that is?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    From a different machine, you can download the files you need using apt-get, transfer them to your computer, and then use apt-get to install them.
    Code:
    apt-get -d install gcc-4.1
    This will download the necessary files. Then use the following on your computer to install from these files.
    Code:
    apt-get --no-download --ignore-missing install gcc-4.1
    You'll have to figure out where "apt-get -d" puts the downloaded files, and then where --no-download expects the files to be.

Good luck!

PS: Welcome to the forums!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply.

Every other computer I have access to is windows - is there a site/program/other that will let me do an apt-get without setting up another OS on my other machine?

Using any other computer go to Google and type "glibc linux tar"

Then untar (extract)

Then run
    "make"
    "make install"

and that should do it. Good luck.

When I run make, I get:

Makeconfig:84: sysdeps/../config.make: No such file or directory
    The GNU C library has not been configured.
    Run 'configure' to configure it before building.
    Try 'configure --help' for more details.
    make: Failed to remake makefile 'sysdeps/../config.make'.

So, just in case, I ran make install anyway:

make: Failed to remake makefile 'sysdeps/../config.make'.
    install -m 644 include/limits.h /usr/local/include/limits.h
    (a bunch more similar installs, mkinstalldirs(?), and mkdirs), then
    (sed '/^@/d' include/stubs-prologue.h; LC_ALL=C sort ) > stubs.h

after that, it didn't do anything else, but the process was still going. After about 30 seconds, I ctrl-ced.

After all this, running mb-gcc gives the same message:

/sbin/mb/bin/mb-gcc: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.4' not found (required
    by /sbin/mb/bin/mb-gcc)

Press <ENTER> to continue...

None of this has yet solved the problem of "You must configure in a separate build directory." Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by serec_mard View Post
    Did you try running configure?

When building gcc it's a good idea to make a temporary directory from which to compile it. Use mkdir to make this temp directory, then cd to it, and run configure from there.
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Ok, I made another dir, and I'm running configure from it. configure checks some stuff, then checks for compilers. It doesn't find any - "configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH".

Dammit. Of course!! I forgot. "Make" requires a compiler in order to work. The problem is that you don't have a compiler with which to compile your compiler!

You need to either, download a pre-compiled binary (probably from the same resource that you downloaded the source from), or boot from a liveCD to compile the compiler.