Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by himrockffan I haven't figured out why it couldn't finish loading Windows from the USB device. The source copy (internal HD) is just fine. But for all intents ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by himrockffan View Post
    I haven't figured out why it couldn't finish loading Windows from the USB device. The source copy (internal HD) is just fine. But for all intents and purposes it appears that Pmagic did everything right.
    To my knowledge Windows does not like being booted from USB devices and doesn't include the drivers/configuration to do so. If you wanted to check you can move the USB drive out of its case and run it directly on the SATA/IDE cable that your current drive is on which might give you better results.

For what it's worth though if I wanted to duplicate a full install I wouldn't copy the partitions, I would copy the entire disk. That means the MBR and TOC would be included too Generally I use dd and I think there are a few graphical apps to that if you are uncomfortable using it on the command line. I wouldn't blame you in that case, you get the drive order wrong and you write a blank disk to your current one!

Just Joined!
    You know, you have a point about not being able to boot from a copy. However, I AM trying to boot the same machine it's just from a different partition and on a different drive. Maybe the Windows software knows that and will not allow it to boot. A while back I did the same thing with '98 (see below) and it worked well for me. I could boot from the backup drive. But maybe XP won't allow that somehow. With that thought in mind it's all together possible that if I copied the backup (USB) back onto the primary (internal) it would then boot, thus restoring the entire system, which is the way I would prefer to do it but I'm not going to try that until I back up another way first.

I was dual booting some time ago and used the following command to copy everything, bit by bit. /backup was a FAT32 partition

primary partition onto the backup partition ...
    find . -xdev | cpio -pBdmV /mnt/backup

They both were IDE HDDs and the backup would only boot, of course, if it were the master device on the bus.

I would think Pmagic is copying partitions in this way as well. Every single bit.

I am using a laptop and the backup HDD is an external IDE sent through USB and the linux kernel designates it as SCSI (sdb). I don't think I can use this backup drive as an internal device.

Just Joined!
    I'm doing it in kind of a dodgy way... I have XP Home on my MSI Wind, and it's inexplicably gone cuckoo, so I've reinstalled XP and set it up, and I want to backup the file system.

I booted up the netbook with a live cd, networked the netbook with my desktop, mounted the XP partition via sshfs, and I'm doing a "cp -av " of the whole lot. I figure if I do a recovery, I'll just clean out the NTFS partition and copy all the files back, so I don't see any problems with what I'm doing. It's just not very elegant.

What does anyone think about this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2