Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm not a Linux person AT ALL. I had a former IT guy that really loved it and he built our file server using Debian GNU 3.1. The thing has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian GNU 3.1 "enter run level" Please Help!

I'm not a Linux person AT ALL. I had a former IT guy that really loved it and he built our file server using Debian GNU 3.1. The thing has been great, has never went down and was always reliable. The problem is we have three Windows based PC's that access the file server for everything.
    This morning we came in and discovered that the network drive assigned to the file server was disconnected. Looking at the server I see this on the screen "Enter Run Level". I have entered everything 0 thru 6 and keep getting the same response "No more processes left in this run level". Then the system freezes after it gives me the response and I have to reboot the machine. The system also seems to be rebooting itself but keeps coming back to the "Enter Run Level". As I said I'm a Linux Ignoramus so please don't think I know anything about Linux when helping me. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by Campsalot; 01-19-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Title change

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Campsalot View Post
    I'm not a Linux person AT ALL. I had a former IT guy that really loved it and he built our file server using Debian GNU 3.1. The thing has been great, has never went down and was always reliable. The problem is we have three Windows based PC's that access the file server for everything.
    This morning we came in and discovered that the network drive assigned to the file server was disconnected. Looking at the server I see this on the screen "Enter Run Level". I have entered everything 0 thru 6 and keep getting the same response "No more processes left in this run level". Then the system freezes after it gives me the response and I have to reboot the machine. The system also seems to be rebooting itself but keeps coming back to the "Enter Run Level". As I said I'm a Linux Ignoramus so please don't think I know anything about Linux when helping me. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sorry for being blunt, but in October 2008, you used the same intro to your first post and were vague about the solution.
    Linux is about sharing and helping others - give-and-take (probably more give than take!)
    As an IT guy who has been employed to fix someone's problems and then laid off when they are fixed, I think I say this for most of the pros who give up there time to support linux:

You have had 3 months to either find out how the server works or get someone who does! Now get someone who does and pay him.

Just Joined!

Dear Mr. or Ms. "Sorry for being blundt" (whych)

Lets dissect your great and incredibly helpful response.

1. You wrote "in October 2008, you used the same intro to your first post and were vague about the solution."
    My response, true. I'm a poor typist and always take short cuts. However, I also added to it.
    2. You wrote; "Linux is about sharing and helping others - give-and-take (probably more give than take!)"
    My response; I can see your level of sharing and caring and oooh so much help!
    3. You wrote; "As an IT guy who has been employed to fix someone's problems and then laid off when they are fixed, I think I say this for most of the pros who give up there time to support linux:"
    My response; You sir or madam are a bitter person and need to get a grip on your own issues before you point out others flaws. IE; "people in glass houses"...
    4. You wrote; "You have had 3 months to either find out how the server works or get someone who does! Now get someone who does and pay him."
    My response; I really have no intention of figuring out Linux. I simply need some help getting to the file server. That help, I presumed would come from someone who is passionate about Linux and enjoyed assisting others. Obviously this is not you.
    Since my original October 08 post, I have closed the company and I now work from home. When this latest issue developed I was in the process of removing the files on the server so it could be erased and sold.
    If anyone could assist me, not criticize me, that would be great!

Linux User
    To try and help people fix the problem, you need to have a look at the boot messages you get prior to the machine hanging. If there is a splash screen, usually pressing esc gets rid of it.
    The other way of accessing the drive is by loading ubuntu live (or any otherlive linux) and see if you can access the drive.
    If the drive is working, the live version will allow you to access the drive and copy/move/delete your files.
    (I've used ubuntu, but not pure debian for a while so am not familiar with the boot screen.)

Just Joined!
    There really is no splash screen or GUI. This thing best resembles an old DOS system. When it is working it simply goes to the login where I can log into the root. That is why I don't like it as I have no idea as to what the command language is. Now I cannot get there at all. I did check into paid support but it is way too much (150.00 per hour). I am wondering if I can simply down load a patch or debugger or something. I do suspect a hardware issue though because of the rebooting. Thanks!

Just Joined!

I found the debian CD's

I have found the Debian installation CD. Is there anything I can run on this just to access the data file's I need? I started a setup but it wanted to partition the drive so I aborted the install. Any ideas?

don't use the install cd yet

when the computer boots, I know you don't recognize what it says but we might. can you tell us what is displayed on the screen when the computer boots? after it has finished booting and the harddrive has settled down, what does it say on the screen? does it go thru any process or progress before displaying enter runlevel?

while waiting you might want to go ahead and download a live cd like knoppix in case its needed, your install could be fubar

Linux User
    Asjledhead and I have said, yes it does look like dos. Each line gives a message and one of them must contain the error message.
    Otherwise download and burn a live cd and run it and see if you can access the drive.
    If you want a windows like gui use ubuntu or knoppix and see if you can find the drive.
    A bit of self-help goes a long way in linux.

Just Joined!

Awsome! Thanks!

I spent the day reading, learning, and finally downloading and creating a Knoppix live CD. I rebooted the server and now I have a GUI. No more keystoke DOS like gunk! (relief) Thanks everyone. Now I need to either get this on the newtwork to transfer the data or burn it all to the cdr. My concern is if knoppix is running in the cdrom can I use the burner? I have never, until now seeing the gui with Linux. I have only been limited to the non gui side of Debian and that frustrated me.
    So can I make this thing see the network? Can I use the cdrom for burning data?

Linux User
    Haven't used knoppix, but it should see the network if you have dhcp setup somewhere. Otherwise manually assign it a network address.
    Another way is to copy everything to a usb stick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast