Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, everybody, I am a new user to Debian. I have installed Debian testing on my toshiba satellite l305d-s5892 laptop. the wireless card is atheros. I have installed madwifi. however, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face problem about wireless in debian

Hi, everybody,

I am a new user to Debian.

I have installed Debian testing on my toshiba satellite l305d-s5892 laptop.

the wireless card is atheros.

I have installed madwifi. however, when I use "iwconfig" or "iwlist ath0 scan" (my card is at ath0), I was told "No access point"

although i have told debian that my ssid and password.

I still got the same error"No access point"

Could any one help me ?

Thank you very much!

Just Joined!

Arrow Ndiswrapper

Try with ndiswrapper it will allow you to use your Windows wireless driver
    once you install ndiswrapper open it and search for your Windows driver.inf fileand it should work

my distro is Ubuntu but it is based on debian so i hope you find the ndiswrapper in debian

install ndiswrapper in ubuntu
    From command promp:
    type sudo aptitude install ndiswrapper-common
    and then sudo aptitude install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

to acces ndiswrapper go to
    System>Administration>Windows Wireless Drivers
    then click on install driver an look for the nt5211.inf file

or you can install it from the top panel

Applications>Add/Remove Apps
    find the ndiswrapper (Windows Wireless Drivers) and install it

my wireless NIC is also and Atheros "AR242x" it wshould works with the AR5007 **note the file name is nt5211.inf not ar5007** i have attached the driver just download it unzip it and with ndiswrapper locate the nt5211.inf file locate it in the unzipped folder and install it, my is working perfectly... note that you may require to restart your system ... i hope this will help you

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamX View Post
    Try with ndiswrapper it will allow you to use your Windows wireless driver
    once you install ndiswrapper open it and search for your Windows driver.inf fileand it should work

my distro is Ubuntu but it is based on debian so i hope you find the ndiswrapper in debian

install ndiswrapper in ubuntu
    From command promp:
    type sudo aptitude install ndiswrapper-common
    and then sudo aptitude install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

to acces ndiswrapper go to
    System>Administration>Windows Wireless Drivers
    then click on install driver an look for the nt5211.inf file

or you can install it from the top panel

Applications>Add/Remove Apps
    find the ndiswrapper (Windows Wireless Drivers) and install it

my wireless NIC is also and Atheros "AR242x" it wshould works with the AR5007 **note the file name is nt5211.inf not ar5007** i have attached the driver just download it unzip it and with ndiswrapper locate the nt5211.inf file locate it in the unzipped folder and install it, my is working perfectly... note that you may require to restart your system ... i hope this will help you
    When I use madwifi (or madwifi-hal) , even ndiswrapper, I can use "iwlist ath0 (or wlan) scanning)" to find the wireless network.

The problem is I get the message that "Access Point not associated". When I use "iwconfig ath0 ap <physical address>" to get it configured, i still can not get through.

Can anybody tell me a detailed method to get it work?

Thank you very much!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    More specific information about your wireless card and your system/distro would help. Please read through this sticky, and then post the info here.
    Wireless Setup - SDtart Here

The best way to connect to wireless networks is to use Networkmanager and the nm-applet tray applet. This is not included in Debian, at least it wasn't on my version. So you would need to find it and install it.

Another option is to use Wicd. It is similar to NetworkManager, but is installable on many more desktop types.

wicd - home
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

No worries

If you searched Google for "debian atheros" you would have found the following:

Wireless network card install (Atheros) Conceptronic etc - debiantutorials.org - from Windows to Debian GNU/Linux

Moreover, if the top left search form was used on that site you would have found:

Get your webcam, video, and wireless rolling quickly on Debian Lenny - debiantutorials.org - from Windows to Debian GNU/Linux

I'll try to get the SERPS higher in the future,

It's pretty cake to get wireless on Debian -- wicd is a really nice network manager, too, and you don't have to touch /etc/network/interfaces

Just Joined!

couldn't edit a bad link so a new post

The first atheros link is incorrect. Sorry. If you need the assistance of that tutorial please see the updated link. All apologies.