Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well, I was relieved to see there was a PowerPC version of CRUX, and the "keep it simple" design principle is very appealing to me. Tarball-based package management is an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Well, I was relieved to see there was a PowerPC version of CRUX, and the "keep it simple" design principle is very appealing to me. Tarball-based package management is an excellent idea, really. I am worried that the CRUX package database may be too small. I can't find a binary for the Glasgow Haskell Compiler available for CRUX (it takes about 3 hours to compile from sources, and not always successfully). A large package database was the most prominant feature of Debian which convinced me to try it over Gentoo.

I looked over your "howto install crux", which is excellently written for someone like me who doesn't need to be reminded of all the little details, and indeed it is very much like installing Gentoo. I am almost tempted to give it a try.

I'm presently using 11 ports with a total of 3746 CRUX packages. Those with others I can get from Linuxpackages have provided me with most of the one's I've needed. ghc is in the yhafri CRUX repository. I see there's an .rpm for it on their site. You could try converting it with rpm2targz and install it that way. Should work.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I just built ghc from the yhafri port. It takes ghc-6.4.2-3mdk.i586.rpm from Mandriva and builds a tar.gz. From download to installation took about eight minutes...

Linux User
    Are those "yhafri" ports PowerPC binaries or are they built from source? Well, I just might give CRUX a try over this weekend, unless something else grabs my attention of course.

Actually, the latest version of GHC is 6.10.1, and I was able to build it on Debian. But once it was built, I couldn't use it because it kept segfaulting. I think I must have not given it an optimizer flag that I should have given it, or something.

There's also a ppc version on this page. Having no experience with ppc, I cannot say if it will or won't work with rpm2targz or even install. There is a CRUX ppc site with lots of good info. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Wow! There is even a CRUX PPC forum! We don't even have that!
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 01-30-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Linux Newbie
    thought about trying lenny instead its about 2 years newer than etch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2