Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I ran sarge-i386-netinst to install Debian. Because only dynamic IP allocated on broadband connection, I left the IP address empty resulting in uable to connect broadband finally. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Question re installing Debian with Sarge

Hi folks,

I ran sarge-i386-netinst to install Debian. Because only dynamic IP allocated on broadband connection, I left the IP address empty resulting in uable to connect broadband finally. I have the base Debian installed but starting 'init 2' only.

Now I got broadband connected by editing both /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider and /etc/ppp/pap-secret. Ping yahoo.com, debian.org, etc were found working.

Kindly advise how to proceed further to complete the installation of Debian.

TIA.

PS. In my case. During installation how to overcome the problem of leaving 'IP address' empty.

Broadband connection - via router
    login and password required.

Tks

B.R.
    satimis

Just Joined!
    This isn't really possible.

I assume you want to install XFree86 to get a graphical environment.

Firstly you should configure stuff with:

# base-config

if you haven't already. If you're still stuck, login as root and:

# vi /etc/apt/sources.list
    Add a nearby mirror.
    # apt-get update
    # dselect
    Follow instructions. To find the xfree86 package, just type /x-window-system<ENTER><SHIFT +><ENTER>, then <ENTER> to exit and <ENTER> to select install. <ENTER> again to confirm, and away you go. It's a bit more obvious when you do it . You'll probably want a decent desktop environment too.
    # reboot
    Ta da, it should work, if you configured it properly.

If you can't get your internet connection working on a netinst, you'll have to complete the steps the installer takes manually.

Linux Guru
    Hi innodonni,

Tks for your advice.

I already ceased testing the installation until I find a spare box with the HD connected to IDE not to ATA-controller.

B.R.
    satimis