Find the answer to your Linux question:
I cannot find any debian thing that does my net right and works... ! I set up gentoo before so I know a little about configurint X11. Heres the problem... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please help me.. its been 2 months of trial and error now

I cannot find any debian thing that does my net right and works... ! I set up gentoo before so I know a little about configurint X11. Heres the problem... when I install from knoppix my net doesn't work... I think it's because its loading the module mii and lots of other ethernet stuff that I dont need.. All I need it via-rhine and pppoe works. Knoppix fails because I can't find out how to stop the extra net modules that are interferring with my connection from loading up during the boot. Sarge fails bacause it cant do my net either.. I think its for much the same reason as knoppix but havn't experimented. The old 3.0 woody install works with my net, but does not configure X11 properly and despite nearly 3 months of toying with the configuration file I still can't get it to work. Why don't I use other versions of linux.... simple. apt-get kicks to much butt... PLEASE PLEAS HELP ME!! I want to use a 2.6 kernel and my net adapter is via rhine, I have adsl and for some reason the dchp always fails on knoppix and sarge, and I have a eiffiecient networks speadstream5360 modem. ANY imput.. even just things that might work is much appreciated.

ok 2 questions,

1) you mention gentoo, im assuming net worked fine under that? if so, just do a absolutly minimalist debian install, then just add modules etc.
    2) several distros offers ports of apt-get and Yoper comes defaulted with one, try yoper, apt-get, fastest out of the ox distro around, and excelnt x config by default. Why haven't you just picked up one of those?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I'll got checkout Yoper. The main factors would be A. What kernel.... B. Can u use debian mirrors with thier apt get... C. Can you upgrade distro/kernele /w it? Ima go to thier website... I plan on making a gaming comp so fast would definantly be nice... reason I didn't stick with gentoo was that I was getting to makny compiling errors but that's prolly because I was to ambitiouse with my sys.

you can recompile the kernel or remore processes from your bootitme, but if you have a highspeed connection, its probably worth your time to give a few otheres a shot.

yes you can point yoper to teh debain mirrors, but much of what makes Yoper so fast is then lost, as the optimized packages are no longer used.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    kool, im downloading it.. sounds like its a kick *** distro :P ! Only thing that worries me is that it uses knoppix's hardware thing and the latest version of knoppix didn't set up my eth right... Oh well, hopefully it worx, sounds great!

that can be an issue, but im sure it can be fixed ,post with any issues you have.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    cool. I'ma hold you to that thought

Just Joined!
    OMG!!!!!!! thank you thank you thank you thank you! :P THAT WAS AMAZING! EVERYTHING JUST WORKED! Definantly need to becoma a developer for this but every pakage I search for is already there! w00t thnx again. Only complaint is that my mousewheel isn't working but I'm assuming I can fix that easily.